1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem about ionisation

1. Oct 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When a gas is enclosed in an impermeable box and heated to a high temperature T, some of the neutral atoms lose an electron and become ions. If the number density of neutral atoms, ions and electrons is Na , N i and N e , respectively, these can be related to the average volume V a occupied by an atom/ion and the ionisation energy E by the relation

2. Options
    (a) N e (N a + N i ) = (N a /V a ) exp (−E/k B T )
    (b) N a (N e + N i ) = (N a /V a ) exp (−E/k B T )
    (c) N e N i = (N a /V a ) exp (+E/k B T )
    (d) N e N i = (N a /V a ) exp (−E/k B T )

3. The attempt at a solution
    The Maxwell distribution is Ne=Ngexp(-E/kBT). Where Ng and Ne are number of atoms in ground state and exited state respectively, E is the energy difference between the states. I don't know how to apply this concept here and how the average volume occupied by atom, Va enters the equation.

Please give me hints to solve this problem.

Problem Reference: TIFR GS 2012 Physical Sciences Question Paper.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea how to derive any such equations, but I believe can see reasons for ruling out three of them.
    Can you rule out some?

4. Oct 16, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the reply, haruspex.

I can rule out one of them. Namely option (c). N e N i = (N a /V a ) exp (+E/k B T )
    Because then the product NiNe decreases with increase in temperature, which is not physical.

Please tell me the other two.

5. Oct 16, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The N values are densities, i.e. Number per Va. I find it easier to think about if I convert back to actual numbers by multiplying each equation by Va2. If we write Mx=NxVa, x=a,i,e, it gets rid of the Va factor.
    Now consider that the exp(-...) term is < 1. Does that seem inconsistent with what the Ms are saying?

6. Oct 16, 2016 #5
    Hey, I have objection on this statement:
    N values are densities, number per unit volume. Now in my opinion, Mx=NxVa will indicate fraction of unit volume occupied by the particular species which has to be less than 1.

Did I miss something?

7. Oct 16, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You're right, I should have written (Na+Ni+Ne)Va=1.
    So that blows that idea away.
    However, I think we can rule out (b) on the basis that the Nas can be cancelled.

8. Oct 16, 2016 #7
    Yes. That is a good exam strategy!

The correct answer given in the answer key is option (d).

9. Oct 16, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That would have been my guess.

10. Oct 17, 2016 #9
    I see :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted