What is the Relationship Between Gas Ionisation and Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to gas enclosed in an impermeable box and heated to a high temperature, where some atoms become ions. The problem involves finding the relation between the number densities of neutral atoms, ions, and electrons, and the average volume occupied by an atom/ion and the ionisation energy. Through a process of elimination, options (a), (b), and (c) are ruled out, leaving option (d) as the correct answer.
niranjan_learner

Homework Statement

When a gas is enclosed in an impermeable box and heated to a high temperature T, some of the neutral atoms lose an electron and become ions. If the number density of neutral atoms, ions and electrons is Na , N i and N e , respectively, these can be related to the average volume V a occupied by an atom/ion and the ionisation energy E by the relation

2. Options
(a) N e (N a + N i ) = (N a /V a ) exp (−E/k B T )
(b) N a (N e + N i ) = (N a /V a ) exp (−E/k B T )
(c) N e N i = (N a /V a ) exp (+E/k B T )
(d) N e N i = (N a /V a ) exp (−E/k B T )

The Attempt at a Solution

The Maxwell distribution is Ne=Ngexp(-E/kBT). Where Ng and Ne are number of atoms in ground state and exited state respectively, E is the energy difference between the states. I don't know how to apply this concept here and how the average volume occupied by atom, Va enters the equation.

Please give me hints to solve this problem.

Problem Reference: TIFR GS 2012 Physical Sciences Question Paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea how to derive any such equations, but I believe can see reasons for ruling out three of them.
Can you rule out some?

Thank you for the reply, haruspex.

haruspex said:
Can you rule out some?

I can rule out one of them. Namely option (c). N e N i = (N a /V a ) exp (+E/k B T )
Because then the product NiNe decreases with increase in temperature, which is not physical.

Please tell me the other two.

niranjan_learner said:
Thank you for the reply, haruspex.
I can rule out one of them. Namely option (c). N e N i = (N a /V a ) exp (+E/k B T )
Because then the product NiNe decreases with increase in temperature, which is not physical.

Please tell me the other two.
The N values are densities, i.e. Number per Va. I find it easier to think about if I convert back to actual numbers by multiplying each equation by Va2. If we write Mx=NxVa, x=a,i,e, it gets rid of the Va factor.
Now consider that the exp(-...) term is < 1. Does that seem inconsistent with what the Ms are saying?

Hey, I have objection on this statement:
haruspex said:
The N values are densities, i.e. Number per Va.

N values are densities, number per unit volume. Now in my opinion, Mx=NxVa will indicate fraction of unit volume occupied by the particular species which has to be less than 1.

Did I miss something?

niranjan_learner said:
Hey, I have objection on this statement:N values are densities, number per unit volume. Now in my opinion, Mx=NxVa will indicate fraction of unit volume occupied by the particular species which has to be less than 1.

Did I miss something?
You're right, I should have written (Na+Ni+Ne)Va=1.
So that blows that idea away.
However, I think we can rule out (b) on the basis that the Nas can be cancelled.

haruspex said:
You're right, I should have written (Na+Ni+Ne)Va=1.
So that blows that idea away.
However, I think we can rule out (b) on the basis that the Nas can be cancelled.

Yes. That is a good exam strategy!

The correct answer given in the answer key is option (d).

niranjan_learner said:
Yes. That is a good exam strategy!

The correct answer given in the answer key is option (d).
That would have been my guess.

haruspex said:
That would have been my guess.

I see :smile:

1. What is ionisation?

Ionisation is the process by which an atom or molecule gains or loses electrons, resulting in a positively or negatively charged particle called an ion.

2. Why is ionisation important in chemistry?

Ionisation is important in chemistry because it can change the properties of an atom or molecule, making it more reactive or able to participate in chemical reactions.

3. What are the different types of ionisation?

The two main types of ionisation are photoionisation, where an atom or molecule is ionised by absorbing light energy, and collisional ionisation, where an atom or molecule collides with another particle and gains or loses an electron.

4. How does ionisation affect the behavior of particles?

Ionisation can affect the behavior of particles by changing their charge, which can influence their interactions with other particles. Charged particles are also affected by electric and magnetic fields, which can further alter their behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of ionisation?

Ionisation has many practical applications, such as in mass spectrometry, where it is used to identify and quantify different substances based on their mass-to-charge ratio. It is also used in various medical procedures, including radiation therapy and imaging techniques like MRI and PET scans.