1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem about mean curvature

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the only surfaces with zero mean curvature are either planes or hyperbolic curves with the equation: [itex]y = \frac{\cosh (ax+b)}{a}[/itex] rotating alone the x axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made an attempt by devoting the equation of the surface as r = r(x) then take this back to the definition of mean curvature which ended up with a very complicated differential equation. Then I worked out the expression of mean curvature using Vieta's formula only to find myself facing a even more complex differential equation again. However there must be an easy way to prove the statement.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2
    Eh solved it myself. Let be [itex]x = u (r)[/itex] substitute this in the Mean Curvature expression [itex](1 + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}^{2})u_{zz} - 2 u_{x}u_{y}u_{xy} + (1 + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}^{2})u_{yy}[/itex]
    Integrate the expression obtained so one can find out the expression of the surface is to be {itex}\frac {e^{az} + e^{-az}}{2a}{\itex}

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    Eh solved it myself. Let be [itex]x = u (r)[/itex] substitute this in the Mean Curvature expression [itex](1 + (\frac{\partial u}{\partial y})^{2})u_{zz} - 2 u_{x}u_{y}u_{xy} + (1 + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}^{2})u_{yy}[/itex]
    Integrate the expression obtained so one can find out the expression of the surface is to be [itex]\frac {e^{az} + e^{-az}}{2a}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook