Can Conservation of Momentum Solve This Collision Problem?

• Thread starter superpig10000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, two particles of mass m connected by a rod of length L are at rest. A third particle of mass m moving at v0 strikes one of the particles at a right angle and sticks to it. The linear velocity and angular velocity about the center of mass can be found using conservation of linear and angular momentum. The point that is momentarily stationary can also be determined by applying these equations.
superpig10000

Homework Statement

Two particles of mass m, connected by a rod of lengh L, are at rest. Another particle of mass m moving at v0 strikes one of the particles at a right angle and sticks to it. a) Find the linear velocity, angular velocity about center of mass. b) which point is momentarily stationary.

Homework Equations

Conservation of linear and angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was as simple as doing conservation of momentum, but I might be wrong.

I appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
superpig10000 said:
I thought it was as simple as doing conservation of momentum, but I might be wrong.
But you might be right also. Now get busy! (Yes, apply conservation of angular and linear momentum.)

1. What is rotation and why is it important in science?

Rotation is the circular movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. It is important in science because it helps us understand and describe many natural phenomena, such as the Earth's rotation causing day and night, or the rotation of planets around the sun.

2. How do you calculate rotational speed?

Rotational speed is calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to rotate. The unit of measurement is usually radians per second or revolutions per minute (RPM).

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point, while linear velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. How do external forces affect the rotation of an object?

External forces can cause changes in the rotational motion of an object. For example, a force applied at a distance from the axis of rotation can increase or decrease the object's angular velocity, or change its direction of rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational motion?

Rotational motion has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines and turbines, the movement of gears and pulleys, and the spin of sports equipment like frisbees and basketballs. It is also essential in the study of celestial bodies and their movements.