1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem asking for velocity

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    I'm a newbie to this subject, so forgive me if what I'm asking supposed to be common sense. :confused:

An airplane travels 280 m down the runway before taking off. If it starts from rest, moves with a constant acceleration, and becomes airborne in 8.00 s, what is its speed in m/s, when it takes off?

So, I think what is given is d=280m then t=8.00s and it is implied that it's initial velocity is 0. And what is asked is the speed or velocity...

Here's the thing. My friend keeps telling me that I should find first acceleration before speed, but I keep saying that I can simply just use d/s. Then, that conversation left me confused.

So, what formula should I really use?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2
    You should think about how distance traveled by a plane and it's speed change with time when acceleration is constant. Then you'll be able to get answer from simultaneous equations.

4. Jul 30, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

d/s will give you the average velocity over the displacement s. It won't tell you the final velocity. However, for constant acceleration there is a relationship between the average velocity and the final velocity after a given distance. Your text book or class notes should have it.

5. Jul 30, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

it is possible to solve this problem by first finding the acceleration - as your friend says. Finding the acceleration is like a half-way point.

It is also possible to use d/s - but that also is a halfway point in the calculation, not the final answer.

You could even draw a velocity-time graph, and get the answer from that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook