Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem at startup

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    I got this problem about two weeks ago.. as you see in the first picture, "windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\Config\sevcst.exe'..." I searched for the file and i found a file with the same name but in system32, even as you see in its properties in the other picture, this file seems as a virus or worm..I have seen before the same properties as this file in another files with names: "Pictures", and "My Pictures" and also with the same icon....I hope to get more information about this virus/worm (kaspersky didn't detect it). what is strange is the comments in "other version information in the file's properties as you can see where there is written "Designed and Programed by: X-LEB the most dangerous hacker in the Middle-East!" note that I'm from Lebanon (in Middle East) and "LEB" refers to Lebanon!!!

hope anyone help me get out these two problems.

hazim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2
  4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    Boot into safemode and remove it from there.

5. Feb 11, 2008 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You may have to turn off system restore when you delete it. If you don't, the file may replicate itself the next time you boot up.

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also get a copy of 'autoruns' from sysinternals - it lists all the programs that are set to run at startup and allows you to turn them off.
    It's also useful for keeping track of all those toolbar utils that everythign decides to install.

7. Feb 12, 2008 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You can do the same thing for free through the control panel and the administrative tools.

8. Feb 12, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Autoruns is free and conveniently lists all the apps started by the dozen different mechanisms - they are all listed in the registry, this is just easier.

9. Feb 13, 2008 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The Services dialog gives you pretty much the same thing. It tells you what loaded and if it is automatically loaded. You can turn things on and off as well. It is pretty helpful if you don't already have some other software to do it.

Free is good. I haven't been able to find a free version of software that does that. I have tried some others and they were ok, but the trial was over pretty quickly.

10. Feb 13, 2008 #9

RonL

Gold Member

Wow !! Great thread
    I'm currently running SpyBot S&D, which seems to protect my Reg. Also i have PC Tools, which seems to filter a lot of adware, but i'm not too happy with it's total performance, i don't think it is anti-vir?
    If i try Avg, should i remove PC Tools first, or would they be compatible with each other?

11. Feb 15, 2008 #10
    thanks all for information and attention...I just deleted that file in safe mode and system restore disabled, and the problems were solved...i installed AVG and and scanned the pc, it didn't detect anything...thanks for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?