What are the solutions to tan^2x - 1 = 0?

• Thread starter I'm
  • Start date
In summary, Tan^{2}X = 1 when x=-1, but tan x=-1 when x=1. You can solve for x by using the difference between the two tans.
I'm

Homework Statement

Tan[tex]^{2}[/tex]X - 1 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I added 1 to both sides, then I took the square root of both sides giving me:

tan x = [tex]\pm[/tex]1

which gives me answers at pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4 and so on.

Do I just write pi/4 + 2kpi as my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
All the answers you've listed are correct, however depending on what k is incomplete. I assume k is an integer. If so then your final answer are points that are all on the same 'spot' of the unit circle. There are more spots where the tangent is 1 or -1.

Last edited:
How do I list every spot where tan = 1 or -1? without actually "listing" them all out.

What you're doing now is making 2Pi rotations, you could also make pi rotations or pi/2 rotations or pi/3 rotations etc. You need to find the angle that fits your equation.

What is the difference between pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4, etc?

OH, so for this specific problem I'm going to write:

pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4, 7pi/4, + pi/2? In that order?

No, you can start with pi/4 + something with k where, for every integer k, you will get pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4, 7pi/4, etc. as well as the negative solutions -pi/4, -3pi/4, -5pi/4, -7pi/4, etc.

Last edited:
SO my final answer will be:

pi/4 + 2pi/4?

How would I do this for a repeating angle such as:

sin x = -1/2 or 1/2 with no limits? since the difference are different.

Like pi/6, 5pi/6, 7pi/6.

The differences are different.

As Cyosis said, What is the difference between pi/4, 3pi/4, 5pi/4, etc?
The solution will be pi/4 + k*(common difference between each of the numbers above)

For a problem like sin2x = 1/4 or sin x = -1/2, 1/2 where the differences are different, you give "two" solutions
x = pi/6 + 2k*pi and x = 5pi/6 + 2k*pi
or sometimes as
x = pi/6 + 2k*pi, 5pi/6 + 2k*pi

Make sense?

Last edited:
Definitely ! Thanks.

1. What is the general solution for solving tan^2x - 1 = 0?

The general solution for this equation is x = nπ, where n is any integer. This means that there are infinite solutions for x, as n can be any positive or negative integer.

2. How can I simplify the equation tan^2x - 1 = 0?

One way to simplify this equation is to use the trigonometric identity tan^2x = sec^2x - 1. Substituting this into the original equation, we get sec^2x - 1 - 1 = 0. Simplifying further, we get sec^2x = 2. Taking the square root of both sides, we get secx = ±√2. From here, we can use the unit circle or a calculator to find the solutions for x.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, it is important to remember that calculators may give approximate values for solutions, so it is always a good idea to check your answers by plugging them back into the original equation.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x for this equation?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x for this equation. Since tanx = sinx/cosx, we cannot have a solution when cosx = 0, as this would result in division by 0. Therefore, x cannot equal π/2 + nπ, where n is any integer. Additionally, x cannot equal 3π/2 + nπ, as this would also result in division by 0.

5. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve this equation?

No, you cannot use the quadratic formula to solve this equation. The quadratic formula is used for equations in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, but the given equation is in the form tan^2x - 1 = 0. However, as mentioned earlier, you can use a trigonometric identity to simplify the equation and solve for x.