Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem confirmation

1. Dec 16, 2004 #1

T@P

i had to do this some time ago:

assume you have a large cloud or radius 2 km, and its density is defined as D(ro) = 3 - ro (btw i cant find the letter 'ro' anywhere... )

what i the mass of the cloud?

i did it this way: mass = density * volume, so in this case it equals D(ro) * dV, so integrating (triple integral) over V yeilds (triple integral) (3 - ro) * (ro)^2 sin (phi) d ro d theta d phi. is that right?

i hope you can understand my *terrible* notation

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Is this what you meant?
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}(3-\rho)\rho^{2}\sin\phi{d}\rho{d}\theta{d}\phi[/tex]
    If that's what you meant, I agree with you :smile:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  4. Dec 16, 2004 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For me it doesn't seem a problem in three dimentions,but rather in 2.I mean the cloud cound have a shape of a circle,and in this case,there should be integrations only after 2 coordinates:[tex] \rho [/tex] and [tex] \phi [/tex].

It looks that way to me,since u're given the radius (of the circle).I've never heard of cilindric clouds,neither of circular ones.But since you aren't given the height,then it should be a circle.
    Try to make calcuations for this case and cf.to the result.

Daniel.

EDIT:On the other hand,it might be a sphere.Though it's weird.Anyway,Arildno may be right and disregard what i've written above.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  5. Dec 16, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

On second thought, I guess they assumed a "disk-like" cloud.
    So I would go with dexter's first suggestion.

6. Dec 16, 2004 #5

T@P

actually the problem was supposed to come out as a triple integral, and yes that was what i meant arildno thanks. ( i think they might have specified a spherical cloud too)

7. Dec 16, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You said "assume you have a large cloud or radius 2 km"

I would have assume a spherical cloud. In that case, the simplest thing to do is set up a coordinate system with (0,0,0) at the center of the cloud. The mass then is exactly what arildno said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?