1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem dealing with hook-law

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One end of a massless spring with hook-law constant K=119 N/M is epoxied to the bottom of a beaker. The other end of the spring is epoxied to a wooden block of mass m=4.17 kg and density 695 kg/m^3. THe beaker if filled with water until the block is fully immersed. Calculate the elongation of the spring. delta L= ??

2. Relevant equations
    The equation I was trying to use was Fx=-kx
    I do not think this is correct because my answer was wrong.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I put the data into the equation -k as -119 and x as 4.17 times 695 but in the end I still did not get delta L and that is what I need. I do not know where to begin with this problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi dban33! :smile:

You've calculated the force by multiplying by the density

but the lighter the block is, the stronger the force will be …

so you should multiply by … ? :smile:
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Ok...so the lighter the block is...the stronger the force will be. Does that mean that for the equation F=-kx......im trying to solve for x right? because x is the elongation of the spring. This would mean that I would have to know the force of the block. Is the force of an object its mass times gravitational force?? F=mg?
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?