1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem driving me insane electric forces

1. Jun 21, 2004 #1
    When 2 identical ions are separated by a distance of 3.3*10-10m, the electrostatic force each exerts on the other is 8.5*10^-9N. How many electrons are missing from each ion?

I know I have to use coloumb's law to get Q1Q2, but how do i get the number of electrons missing from each?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The charges are identical, so Q1 = Q2 = Q. Solve for Q and figure out how many electron charges that it equates to.

4. Jun 21, 2004 #3
    I solved for Q, but how do i convert to electron charges? Because Q comes out in Coloumb's squared

5. Jun 21, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Not if you did it correctly. Show me how you applied Coulomb's law and solved for Q.

6. Jun 21, 2004 #5
    Q = F*r*r/k
    Q = 8.5*10^-9N *(3.3*10^-10m)^2/9.0*10^9 N*m^2/C^2
    Q = 1.0825*10^-19 C^2
    Q = square root of above = 3.207*10^-10C
    What do I do after that?

7. Jun 21, 2004 #6

Doc Al

These should read Q*Q =
    Recheck this answer for Q*Q.
    You made an arithmetic mistake in finding Q*Q.

8. Jun 21, 2004 #7
    can u explain youself a little more, i don't understand what you are trying to say in the above post

9. Jun 21, 2004 #8

turin

Homework Helper

Hopefully DocAl will forgive my intrusion:

You are using the symbol, "Q," to represent Q1*Q2. But, if both Q1 and Q2 are equal to Q, then, upon substitution: Q1*Q2 = Q*Q.
    It is at the very least symbolically misleading to say: Q1*Q2 = Q.

Anyway, once you get that straightened out, the charge will be in Coulombs. Then you need to use the charge of an electron in Coulombs: 1.6x10-19 C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?