Problem establishing connections with certain sites

• Thread starter moose
  • Start date
In summary, the problem which I am having and have had for the past 6 months is that certain sites for an unknown(to me) reason don't load. Almost every single website I go to DOES load perfectly fine, but a select few don't. Examples of these sites include www.nsa.gov, www.pcmag.com, and www.space.com. I have tried to disable my firewall, enable ALL cookies, etc... but nothing has worked. I am completely stumped as to why this occurs. If anyone can help, I would be very thankful.
moose
The problem which I am having and have had for the past 6 months(since I upgraded my computer and reinstalled XP) is that certain sites for an unknown(to me) reason don't load. Almost every single website I go to DOES load perfectly fine, but a select few don't. Examples of these sites include www.nsa.gov[/url] [url]www.pcmag.com[/url] [url]www.space.com[/URL]

Now, I know that it is not a problem with my isp because all other computers in my house do not have this problem. Here is the error I receive when attempting to visit [PLAIN]www.nsa.gov[/URL]
[PLAIN]http://1337moose.com/error/error.png
This is also not a browser specific problem. This problem persists in firefox(my main browser) and I.E.

I have tried to disable my firewall, enable ALL cookies, etc...
Nothing has worked, I am completely stumped as to why this occurs.

If anyone can help, I would be very thankful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmmm I had a similar problem with search engines and it just turned out i needed to remove some spyware, my other rememdy before I readlized I had spyware installed that somehow disable certain connections was the following. In internet explorer do this:

- Click on Tools
- Internet Options...
- Click The Advanced Tab
- Under Browsing Uncheck The Box That Says "Enable 3rd Party Browser Extensions"

If that doesn't work I suggest downloading, updating, and running both Adaware and Spybot S&D

If that doesn't work and you are using a router, I suggest resetting the router to its default settings, the router may be blocking communications on a certain port under one of the computers locally assigned IPs.

If that doesn't work then I have no idea how to fix it other than backing all your documents up and reinstalling windows.

have u checked your host file?

abercrombiems02 said:
- Click on Tools
- Internet Options...
- Click The Advanced Tab
- Under Browsing Uncheck The Box That Says "Enable 3rd Party Browser Extensions"

If that doesn't work I suggest downloading, updating, and running both Adaware and Spybot S&D
Thanks for the reply,
That did not work and I already run Adaware and Spybot from time to time.
abercrombiems02 said:
If that doesn't work and you are using a router, I suggest resetting the router to its default settings, the router may be blocking communications on a certain port under one of the computers locally assigned IPs.
I could try that, and how would I actually set it to the default settings? Do I have to hard reset?

abercrombiems02 said:
If that doesn't work then I have no idea how to fix it other than backing all your documents up and reinstalling windows.
Meh, I hope it won't come to that...I might reinstall linux to see if it works there or not.

Anttech said:
have u checked your host file?
Could you elaborate on that? I don't really know what you're talking about...

dns name resolution works like this:

when you type a URL into your browser, the first thing your PC checks for a name to IP resolution is your local host file.
if no entry is found there then it checks the dns server that is found in your tcp/ip config... (its a lot more complicated actually buts that's the essesence)

For XP open notepad, then with windows exp go to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

drag the file called hosts to notepad, typically it shouldn't have any entries apart from the localhost (127.0.0.1) if you have other entries there and you didnt put them in remove them as they were probably introduced by some malware.

For Linux at cli do a:

vi /etc/hosts

and check for the same stuff as xp

Anttech, localhost was the only entry in the hosts file :*(

I don't understand why this problem occurs, I wonder what these sites(which I can't reach) have in common...
I will search through some forums some more to see if anyone has had this happen to them.

what hapens when you ping the www site? do u get a reply?

click start>run>type "cmd"
at command prompt type "ping www.nsa.gov"

do u get replies?

"request timed out"

:*(

so no i don't get any replies :*(

do a tracert www.nsa.gov[/URL] and see where it fails... Perhaps your ISP is having some routing issues

Anttech said:
do a tracert www.nsa.gov[/URL] and see where it fails... Perhaps your ISP is having some routing issues[/QUOTE]

Ok, I did that and I just sent you a PM with a screenshot of what it came up with.

yeh... Saw it, seems ok, as I get the same when doing a tracert... I don't think there are any network problems

Anttech said:
yeh... Saw it, seems ok, as I get the same when doing a tracert... I don't think there are any network problems
I just moved my computer to a different room and connected it to a different cable and it still doesn't work, so this is definitely a windows problem. I just don't understand what it is that isn't letting me go there. I don't have any parental controls or any of that crap.

What causes the problem of establishing connections with certain sites?

The problem of establishing connections with certain sites can be caused by a variety of factors, such as internet connectivity issues, server problems, or browser compatibility issues. It can also be caused by network configurations or security settings that block access to certain sites.

How can I troubleshoot this issue?

To troubleshoot connection problems with certain sites, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, restarting your device, or trying a different browser. You can also check your internet connection and make sure your network settings are not blocking access to the site. If the problem persists, you can contact your internet service provider or the site's technical support team for further assistance.

Why am I able to access some sites but not others?

This could be due to various reasons such as server maintenance, site errors, or content restrictions. It is also possible that the site is experiencing high traffic or is temporarily down. If you are only having trouble accessing certain sites, it is likely an issue with the site itself rather than your connection.

How can I prevent this problem from happening in the future?

To prevent connection issues with certain sites, you can regularly clear your browser's cache and cookies, update your browser and operating system, and ensure that your network settings are not blocking access to any sites. It is also a good idea to check for any known issues with the site or contact their technical support team for assistance.

Is there any way to bypass the connection problem and access the site?

It is not recommended to bypass any connection problems as it could potentially compromise your security and put your device at risk. If you are having trouble accessing a specific site, it is best to troubleshoot the issue or contact the site's technical support team for assistance.