1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem, exercise, anomalous magnetic moment interaction

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    I need to solve an exercise on Quantum Field Theory that reads as follows:

Supousse that the electron has an anomalous magnetic moment, wich makes the QED Lagrangian
    (density) to have an additional term:

[tex]
    L'_I(x) = \frac{2ie}{m} \bar{\psi}(x) \sigma^{\alpha\beta} \psi(x) F_{\alpha\beta}(x)
    [/tex]

where:

[tex]
    F_{\alpha\beta} = \partial_{\alpha}A_{\beta}(x) - \partial_{\beta}A_{\alpha}(x)
    [/tex]

1. Find the matrix element (Feynman amplitude) for Moller's dispersion, having in account this additional
    term.

I found that

[tex]
    \partial_{\alpha}\beta = \sum_k (\mp i k_{\alpha}) A^{\pm}_{\beta}(x)
    [/tex]

from where, I found that:

[tex]
    2i\sigma^{\alpha\beta}F_{\alpha\beta}(x) = -i2[\check{K},\check{A}^+ - \check{A}^-]
    [/tex]

where:

[tex]
    \check{K},\check{A}^+,\check{A}^-
    [/tex]

denotes slash operators !!!! (I couldn't find how to draw slash operators here). The problem that I have
    as from here is, that I don't know how to calculate Time Contractions to the operator:

[tex]
    A^+ - A^-
    [/tex]

for example, I don't know how to calculate the Feynman propagator to the Time Contraction:

[tex]
    T\{ A(x)[A^+(y) - A^-(y)] \}
    =
    T\{ [A^+(x) + A^-(x) ][A^+(y) - A^-(y)] \}
    [/tex]

Does any one knows how to proceed in this case??

best regards

Rayo

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?