Problem, exercise, anomalous magnetic moment interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving an exercise on Quantum Field Theory that involves the additional term in the QED Lagrangian. The speaker provides guidance on using the Feynman rules for QED to calculate the Feynman amplitude for Moller's dispersion, which involves constructing a Feynman diagram and using the Feynman propagator for the electron. The speaker also suggests consulting a textbook or seeking guidance from someone familiar with QED calculations.
rayohauno
I need to solve an exercise on Quantum Field Theory that reads as follows:

Supousse that the electron has an anomalous magnetic moment, which makes the QED Lagrangian
(density) to have an additional term:

[tex]
L'_I(x) = \frac{2ie}{m} \bar{\psi}(x) \sigma^{\alpha\beta} \psi(x) F_{\alpha\beta}(x)
[/tex]

where:

[tex]
F_{\alpha\beta} = \partial_{\alpha}A_{\beta}(x) - \partial_{\beta}A_{\alpha}(x)
[/tex]

1. Find the matrix element (Feynman amplitude) for Moller's dispersion, having in account this additional
term.

I found that

[tex]
\partial_{\alpha}\beta = \sum_k (\mp i k_{\alpha}) A^{\pm}_{\beta}(x)
[/tex]

from where, I found that:

[tex]
2i\sigma^{\alpha\beta}F_{\alpha\beta}(x) = -i2[\check{K},\check{A}^+ - \check{A}^-]
[/tex]

where:

[tex]
\check{K},\check{A}^+,\check{A}^-
[/tex]

denotes slash operators ! (I couldn't find how to draw slash operators here). The problem that I have
as from here is, that I don't know how to calculate Time Contractions to the operator:

[tex]
A^+ - A^-
[/tex]

for example, I don't know how to calculate the Feynman propagator to the Time Contraction:

[tex]
T\{ A(x)[A^+(y) - A^-(y)] \}
=
T\{ [A^+(x) + A^-(x) ][A^+(y) - A^-(y)] \}
[/tex]Does anyone knows how to proceed in this case??

best regards

Rayo

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Rayo,

Thank you for your question. This is a complex problem that involves both Quantum Field Theory and Feynman diagrams. To calculate the Feynman amplitude for Moller's dispersion with the additional term in the QED Lagrangian, you will need to use the Feynman rules for QED, which can be found in any standard textbook on the subject.

To begin, you will need to use the Feynman propagator for the electron, which includes the additional term in the Lagrangian. This propagator can be written as:

G(x,y) = <T{ψ(x)ψ(y)}> = <T{ψ(x)ψ(y)e^{iS_I(x)}e^{-iS_I(y)}}>

where S_I is the interaction term in the Lagrangian. To calculate the Feynman amplitude, you will need to use this propagator for both the initial and final electron states.

Next, you will need to construct the Feynman diagram for Moller's dispersion, which involves two electron lines and two photon lines. The additional term in the Lagrangian will contribute to the vertex where the photon attaches to the electron line. This vertex will have a factor of 2iσ^{\alpha\beta}F_{\alpha\beta}(x), as you have correctly found.

To calculate the Feynman amplitude, you will need to use the Feynman rules for QED, which involve summing over all possible diagrams and taking into account the appropriate factors for each vertex, propagator, and loop. This can be a tedious process, but it is essential for obtaining the correct result.

I suggest consulting a textbook or seeking guidance from a professor or colleague who is familiar with QED calculations. Good luck with your exercise!

1. What is the "problem" in the problem, exercise, anomalous magnetic moment interaction?

The "problem" in this context refers to the discrepancy between the theoretical predictions and experimental measurements of the interaction between the magnetic moment of a particle and an external magnetic field. This has been observed in various experiments, leading to the need for further investigation and understanding.

2. How is this problem addressed in scientific research?

Scientists use a variety of theoretical and experimental methods to study the problem of anomalous magnetic moment interaction. This includes quantum field theory, high-precision measurements, and simulations using supercomputers.

3. What is the significance of understanding this interaction?

Understanding the anomalous magnetic moment interaction is crucial for accurately interpreting experimental results in particle physics and for testing the predictions of quantum field theory. It also has implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces and properties of matter.

4. What are some proposed explanations for the anomalous magnetic moment interaction?

There are several proposed explanations for the anomalous magnetic moment interaction, including the existence of unknown particles or forces, as well as modifications to the current theories of quantum mechanics and particle physics.

5. How does this interaction relate to other areas of scientific research?

The study of the anomalous magnetic moment interaction is interconnected with many other areas of scientific research, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It also has potential applications in technology, such as in the development of more precise magnetic sensors and storage devices.