Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem for the Geniuses

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    A scientist is performing an experiment on an up-the-floor escalator in a mall. The scientist ran up the escalator and took 50 steps to reach the upper boom. Then, he ran back down the same escalator and took 125 steps to reach back the lower boom. The pace of the scientist going down is five times faster going up. How many steps are visible on the escalator if it is shutdown?

The problem is good for 15 minutes....or more! Haha! I'll post the solution and answer on Monday :) Happy solving!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Why do you think only a genius can solve it?

Also its easily found via google search.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  4. Mar 18, 2015 #3

Evo

Also, this is the "Introductions Only" sub-forum, as it states in the first post. :smile:

5. Mar 18, 2015 #4
    Uh-oh. I haven't been reading. My bad. Uhm, do i have to delete this post and move it to the threads? Sorry guys. >.< Regarding the question, it came from a book entitled "Problems in General Physics by I.E Irodov" which was our example problem in our class last Monday. I just felt sharing this bec most of my classmates had a hard time solving it and I googled it too! And havent found a site with solutions on this problem. (or maybe im just lame in Google-ing lol)

6. Mar 18, 2015 #5

Evo

You're fine, no one reads my posts. :frown: It was a nice problem. Welcome to the forum!

7. Mar 18, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Oh no, i read your post should I now deny that I did and delete this post too to deny the denial? :-)

8. Mar 18, 2015 #7
    Thank you ^^ I'll move it to the threads :)

9. Mar 18, 2015 #8

Mark44

I read some of them @Evo...

Anyway, I moved this thread.

10. Mar 18, 2015 #9
    Thank God, I'm having a hard time learning to post and the likes here. Thank you! :)

11. Mar 18, 2015 #10

jedishrfu

12. Mar 18, 2015 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Evo ... how can you say that? We all await your posts with bated breath :smile:

13. Mar 19, 2015 #12
    Who are you talking to?

14. Mar 19, 2015 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not you, apparently.

15. Mar 19, 2015 #14
    Ah, keep at it then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook