Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem from Apostol book

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    Hello all,

In exercise 31, page 106 of Calculus by Tom Apostol (volume 1), the reader is asked to prove that the definite integral from zero to 2*pi of sin(nx) * cos(mx) = 0 (where n and m are arbitrary integers). The book hints that the reader should use the fact that the definite integral from 0 to 2*pi of sin(nx) equals zero (and that the same is true of cos(nx)). I haven't been able to get anywhere on this problem, except using the addition formula for sine to prove that sin(nx)cos(mx) = cos(nx)sin(mx). Any help, anyone?

I'm sure the proof is very simple, but I just can't seem to find it...

Sorry for spelling everything out in words. I have no idea how to use TeX.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you know

[tex]\sin nx \cos mx = \cos nx \sin mx\,,[/tex]

then what is

[tex]\sin nx \cos mx + \cos nx \sin mx\;?[/tex]

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3
    sorry my original post had an error.

I meant to say that I had proven that sin nx * cos mx = -cos mx * sin nx

5. Dec 4, 2007 #4
    Wow I just figured out how to prove it about two minutes after I posted that

Thanks though.

It was as simple as I thought it would be :-)

6. Dec 4, 2007 #5
    maybe you mean the integral of the left side equals the integral of the right side because what you have written there isn't true.

7. Dec 4, 2007 #6
    That's what I meant.

Two errors, at least. Argh. I think if I could use real notation on this site I wouldn't have done that. time to learn how to use latex...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?