Problem from Mastering Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration at an intersection while driving to the grocery store. The person's reaction time and constant acceleration of their car are taken into account. They have found the initial distance to be 130m and are trying to solve for the acceleration using the "big 5" equations. They are looking for assistance in solving for the acceleration and determining if the initial distance calculation is correct.
Raimuna
I really don't know how to find the acceleration at the intersection.
You are driving to the grocery store at 19 m/s. You are 140 m from an intersection when the traffic light turns red. Assume that your reaction time is 0.77 s and that your car brakes with constant acceleration.
I have found that d1=130m
I tried to find the acceleration and I got 25, but it's wrong.
Could someone help me with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
you say d1 = 130m Is d1 supposed to be the total distance during the deacceleration(i.e. the initial distance subtracted by how much your car travels during your reaction time)?

if so, how does 140 - 19 * .77 = 130?

As for solving a, use the "big 5"

1/2 a t^2 = d

v=a*t +v(initial)

the above equation can be used to solve a & t. two equations, two unknowns. notice, in the second equation v is zero when your car is completely stopped, the point in time we're interested in.

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are trying to solve for the acceleration of your car as it brakes to a stop at the intersection. To do this, you will need to use the kinematic equations, specifically the one that relates displacement, initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration (d = (vf^2 - vi^2)/2a).

First, let's determine the final velocity (vf) at the intersection. We know that your initial velocity (vi) is 19 m/s, and your reaction time (t) is 0.77 s. Using the equation vf = vi + at, we can calculate that your final velocity at the intersection is 19 + a(0.77) m/s.

Next, let's use the given information that you are 140 m from the intersection when the light turns red to determine the displacement (d) at the intersection. We know that your initial displacement (d1) is 130 m, so the remaining displacement at the intersection is 140 - 130 = 10 m.

Now, we can plug in the values we have into the kinematic equation: 10 = ((19 + a(0.77))^2 - 19^2)/2a. Solving for a, we get a = -4.62 m/s^2.

This negative value for acceleration indicates that your car is slowing down as it approaches the intersection, which makes sense since you are applying the brakes. It is possible that your answer of 25 was incorrect because you may have accidentally used the reaction time as the total time it takes for your car to come to a stop, instead of just the time it takes for you to react and start braking.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve this problem. Remember to always double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. Good luck!

1. What is a "Problem from Mastering Physics"?

A "Problem from Mastering Physics" refers to a specific type of physics problem that is commonly used in the online learning platform, Mastering Physics. These problems typically involve real-world scenarios and require students to apply their knowledge of physics concepts and equations to solve them.

2. How do I approach solving a "Problem from Mastering Physics"?

The first step in solving a "Problem from Mastering Physics" is to carefully read and understand the given scenario. Then, identify the relevant physics concepts and equations that can be used to solve the problem. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or make a list of known and unknown variables. Finally, apply the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable(s).

3. Are "Problems from Mastering Physics" challenging?

The difficulty level of "Problems from Mastering Physics" can vary, but they are generally designed to challenge students and test their understanding of physics concepts. It is important to approach these problems with patience and a clear understanding of the relevant concepts and equations.

4. Are there any tips for solving "Problems from Mastering Physics"?

One helpful tip for solving "Problems from Mastering Physics" is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make the problem less overwhelming and help identify which concepts and equations are needed for each step. Additionally, practicing with similar problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also improve problem-solving skills.

5. Can I use outside resources to solve "Problems from Mastering Physics"?

While it is recommended to solve "Problems from Mastering Physics" on your own to fully understand the concepts, it is acceptable to use outside resources such as textbooks, lecture notes, or online tutorials for guidance. However, it is important to properly cite any sources used and not rely solely on outside resources for solving the problem.