Solving the Mystery of Number Theory: 1/3+1/3^2+1/3^3... + 1/3^n=1/2(1-1/3^n)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving geometric series and a formula for finding the sum of these series. The final equation is derived by multiplying and dividing by (1-r) and canceling terms. The conversation also suggests using math typesetting for clarity.
JCCol
I am new to number theory and i so far like it. I recently found this problem but there was no explanation of how they got it and i was wondering if any of you knew how they got it. It is this:

1/3+1/3^2+1/3^3... + 1/3^n=1/2(1-1/3^n)

Then they used:

1/4+1/4^2+1/4^3... + 1/4^n=1/3(1-1/4^n)

Now what i don't see is how they got that final equation (probably a dumb question) but i would appreciate it if anyone could help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
JCCol said:
I am new to number theory and i so far like it. I recently found this problem but there was no explanation of how they got it and i was wondering if any of you knew how they got it. It is this:

1/3+1/3^2+1/3^3... + 1/3^n=1/2(1-1/3^n)

Then they used:

1/4+1/4^2+1/4^3... + 1/4^n=1/3(1-1/4^n)

Now what i don't see is how they got that final equation (probably a dumb question) but i would appreciate it if anyone could help. Thanks.
It's the formula for a geometric series. Suppose we have a series:
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{n}ar^j=a+ar+ar^2+ar^3+...+ar^n=a(1+r+r^2+r^3+...+r^n)[/tex]
Just multiply and divide by (1-r) to get:
[tex]=a\frac{(1+r+r^2+r^3+...+r^n)(1-r)}{1-r}[/tex]
When you expand out the multiplication on the top, most of the terms cancel:
[tex]=a\frac{1+r+r^2+r^3+...+r^n - r - r^2 - r^3 -r^4 -...-r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/tex]
Canceling:
[tex]=a\frac{1-r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/tex]
Now the first sum is just the sum
[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{n}ar^j[/tex]
with a=(1/3) and r= (1/3) while in the second sum a and r are (1/4). Do out the subtraction on the denomenator and reciprocate to turn the division into multiplication and you'll come out with what you gave.

By the way, using math typesetting can make your posts clearer. Click on any equation to see how it was made. It is not too difficult to pick up on how to use.

Last edited:
Thank you this explains a lot and i will try to use math typeset.

What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, specifically integers.

What is the equation 1/3+1/3^2+1/3^3... + 1/3^n=1/2(1-1/3^n)?

This equation is known as a geometric series and it represents the sum of a infinite sequence of numbers, where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio of 1/3.

Why is this equation important?

This equation is important because it is a solution to the famous Basel problem, which asks for the sum of the reciprocals of the square numbers. It also has applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

How is this equation solved?

This equation can be solved by using the formula for the sum of a geometric series, which is S = a/(1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the ratio. In this case, a = 1/3 and r = 1/3, so the sum is 1/2.

What are some real-world applications of this equation?

This equation has applications in fields such as signal processing, circuit analysis, and financial mathematics. It can also be used to approximate certain values in physics and engineering problems.