1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in cylindrical shell

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    y=x^4, y=sin(pix/2); about x=-1

the solution is attached .

how he determinate it to be from 0 to 1 ...???
    as I know , we usually put for example the expression of y1 = y2 and solve it for zero but in this case is not easy to do it,so how did he do it...??

note: my english is bad so please correct any thing wrong in my writing...thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

y=x^4, y=sin(pix/2) intersect at 0 and 1, and looking at the shaded area in the figure, that is the area bounded (between) the two curves (function).

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    may you show me the procedure of equaling the two equations step by step

thanks

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're right about the difficulty of solving an equation such as sin(pi * x/2) = x^4. Equations like this, where x appears in the argument of a transcendental function and outside it, are usually impossible to solve by algebraic means. I suspect that the author of this problem cooked up these functions so they would intersect at the origin and (1, 1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook