1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in distribution theory

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1
    I have a little problem with the following exercise:
    "Consider the temperate distribution

[tex] f\left(x\right)=\frac{1}{\left(x-i0\right)^2} [/tex]

Write f(x) like function of elementary temperate distributions and calculate its Fourier-transform."
    I am almost sure I have to use the identity

[tex] \frac{1}{x-i0}=PP\frac{1}{x}+i\pi\delta\left(x\right) [/tex]

But the square makes appear terms like [tex] \delta^2\left(x\right) [/tex], that is not a distribution.

Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

What is "the temperate distribution", and what is an "elementary temperate distribution"?

What is "i0"? E.g. is 0 simply an arbitrarily small positive number?

The original equation defines a function with one double pole (assuming my example interpretation of 0 above). I don't see any need to use distribution theory. You can evaluate the Fourier transform using the Cauchy Integral Theorem (assuming my example interpretation of 0 above).

4. Jul 9, 2009 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this means "tempered distribution" and "regular distribution that is also a tempered distribution."
    I think so. This is usually denoted [itex]x- i \epsilon[/itex].
    But I think the idea behind the question is to gain familiarity with distribution theory.
    [tex]\frac{1}{\left( x - i \epsilon \right)^2} = - \frac{d}{dx} \left[ \frac{1}{ x - i \epsilon} \right][/tex]

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4
    Thanks, that was exactly the answer I got myself after a while. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook