1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in Group theory

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    Hello,
    I am having difficulty with the following problem in Group theory:

How do you positive integers r such that there is a surjective homomorphism from S_n (This is the symmetric group of order n) to
    C_r (This is the cyclic group order r) for some n ?
    I am not sure where to even start and any pointers in right direction will
    be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happens when r is greater than n?

4. Nov 12, 2006 #3
    Groups

Well, on the face of it. since r>n I would have said that therecannot be a surjective relationship, but if say, S_3 ={1 2 3} and C_4 (thus r>n) is
    {e, a, a^2, a^3} the order of S_3 is 3! = 6 and the order of C_4 is 4
    so there could be a surjective homomorphism. I am stuck at this point as I need to find values of r that would give this homomorphism for some n.
    Can you help?

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're ignoring many importan aspects of the structure of groups and homomorphisms. Do you know the isomorphism theorems? Your problem asks you when is there a normal subgroup H of S_n with S_n/H isomorphic to C_r. There can't be a surjective hom from S_3 to C_4 because 6/4 is not an integer. Homs alse have certain properties to do with orders of elements as well. It's impossible to send any element of S_n to any element of order 4 in any other group at all since 4 does not divide the order of any element of S_4 either.

(I presume the question did not ask you to find *all* n and r with this property - it is possible, but would require you to know too much at this stage).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  6. Nov 12, 2006 #5
    Groups

Thanks for the clear reply.
    Yes, I looked up the Isomorphism theorem and now can understand what you are saying. The question does ask for *all* r for some n that will give a homomorphism from S_n to C_r. How can this be done?

7. Nov 12, 2006 #6

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think harder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?