Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in hybrid design

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    i need to design a hybrid engine for passanger car from A to Z,
    i've only net brake power which is 100 kw .
    but i don't know how can i start in design ? this the problem!:confused:
    i could use any help
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What are you learning in school that will help you with this design?

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    i learned about engine performance and total resistance on the vehicle .
    actually I've learned almost everything about vehicle,
    how can i start ? this is the question :confused:

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4

berkeman

Since this is for a school project, we will not do your project for you. Maybe start by looking at existing designs for hybrid engines in that power range. What hybrid vehicles have engines similar to the one you are to design? What batteries do they use? What do they use for transmissions?

Please show some effort -- it is your schoolwork project, after all. :smile:

6. Dec 12, 2011 #5
    "Design" is pretty open-ended. If the end result is to be a physical model/prototype, and you are truly responsible for "A to Z", then you have many months or years of work ahead of you.

"Hybrid engine" also leaves a lot open to interpretation. If you are referring to hybrid in the sense of vehicles such as the Toyota Prius, then it is a hybrid powertrain -- a conventional internal combustion engine with a high-voltage electrical generator and an electric motor. The manner in which the components work together varies by manufaacturer and model. Some vehicles use the ICE for primary propulsion, with the electric motor only working as a booster of sorts.

Sounds like you've already started. You say that you have the required engine parameters and the vehicle data. Where exactly are you stuck?

7. Dec 13, 2011 #6
    thanks alot,:smile:

8. Dec 13, 2011 #7
    yes i've already start collecting a general information about parameter i need ,but i only have the brake power and i have to assuming alot of parameter such as "mechanical efficience and clearance volume ,etc" i need to know the acceptable rang for assuming .
    thanks alot for your help:smile:

9. Dec 13, 2011 #8
    You said previously,
    Now you're saying that you know almost nothing about the vehicle. :confused:

10. Dec 13, 2011 #9

berkeman

Yes, it does appear that eng/mahmoud would like us to do his project for him. Guess he's not real familiar with how the PF operates...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook