Designing a Hybrid Engine for a Passenger Car: Where to Begin?

• Thread starter eng/mahmoud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the student is stuck on what to do next. He has the engine parameters and vehicle data, but doesn't know what to do next.
eng/mahmoud
i need to design a hybrid engine for passanger car from A to Z,
i've only net brake power which is 100 kw .
but i don't know how can i start in design ? this the problem!:confused:
i could use any help
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
eng/mahmoud said:
i need to design a hybrid engine for passanger car from A to Z,
i've only net brake power which is 100 kw .
but i don't know how can i start in design ? this the problem!:confused:
i could use any help
thanks

What are you learning in school that will help you with this design?

i learned about engine performance and total resistance on the vehicle .
actually I've learned almost everything about vehicle,
how can i start ? this is the question :confused:

eng/mahmoud said:

Since this is for a school project, we will not do your project for you. Maybe start by looking at existing designs for hybrid engines in that power range. What hybrid vehicles have engines similar to the one you are to design? What batteries do they use? What do they use for transmissions?

Please show some effort -- it is your schoolwork project, after all. :smile:

eng/mahmoud said:
i need to design a hybrid engine for passanger car from A to Z...
"Design" is pretty open-ended. If the end result is to be a physical model/prototype, and you are truly responsible for "A to Z", then you have many months or years of work ahead of you.

"Hybrid engine" also leaves a lot open to interpretation. If you are referring to hybrid in the sense of vehicles such as the Toyota Prius, then it is a hybrid powertrain -- a conventional internal combustion engine with a high-voltage electrical generator and an electric motor. The manner in which the components work together varies by manufaacturer and model. Some vehicles use the ICE for primary propulsion, with the electric motor only working as a booster of sorts.

eng/mahmoud said:
Sounds like you've already started. You say that you have the required engine parameters and the vehicle data. Where exactly are you stuck?

berkeman said:
Since this is for a school project, we will not do your project for you. Maybe start by looking at existing designs for hybrid engines in that power range. What hybrid vehicles have engines similar to the one you are to design? What batteries do they use? What do they use for transmissions?

Please show some effort -- it is your schoolwork project, after all. :smile:

thanks alot,:smile:

pantaz said:
"Design" is pretty open-ended. If the end result is to be a physical model/prototype, and you are truly responsible for "A to Z", then you have many months or years of work ahead of you.

"Hybrid engine" also leaves a lot open to interpretation. If you are referring to hybrid in the sense of vehicles such as the Toyota Prius, then it is a hybrid powertrain -- a conventional internal combustion engine with a high-voltage electrical generator and an electric motor. The manner in which the components work together varies by manufaacturer and model. Some vehicles use the ICE for primary propulsion, with the electric motor only working as a booster of sorts.

Sounds like you've already started. You say that you have the required engine parameters and the vehicle data. Where exactly are you stuck?

yes I've already start collecting a general information about parameter i need ,but i only have the brake power and i have to assuming a lot of parameter such as "mechanical efficience and clearance volume ,etc" i need to know the acceptable rang for assuming .
thanks a lot for your help:smile:

eng/mahmoud said:
yes I've already start collecting a general information about parameter i need ,but i only have the brake power and i have to assuming a lot of parameter such as "mechanical efficience and clearance volume ,etc" i need to know the acceptable rang for assuming .
thanks a lot for your help:smile:

You said previously,
eng/mahmoud said:
... actually I've learned almost everything about vehicle...

Now you're saying that you know almost nothing about the vehicle. :confused:

Yes, it does appear that eng/mahmoud would like us to do his project for him. Guess he's not real familiar with how the PF operates...

1. What is hybrid design in technology?

Hybrid design in technology refers to the combination of different types of technologies or systems in order to create a new and improved product. This can involve combining physical and digital elements, or merging different software programs or hardware components.

2. What are the advantages of hybrid design?

One of the main advantages of hybrid design is the ability to create unique and innovative products that may not have been possible with a single technology. It also allows for increased flexibility and customization, as well as improved performance and functionality.

3. What are the challenges of hybrid design?

Some of the challenges of hybrid design include the potential for compatibility issues between different technologies, as well as the need for specialized knowledge and skills in order to successfully integrate them. There may also be higher costs associated with developing and implementing a hybrid design.

4. How is hybrid design used in different industries?

Hybrid design is used in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, and entertainment. For example, hybrid cars combine traditional combustion engines with electric motors to improve fuel efficiency, while hybrid surgery equipment combines traditional surgical tools with advanced digital imaging technology.

5. What are some examples of successful hybrid design projects?

Some successful hybrid design projects include the Tesla Model S electric car, which combines traditional car design with advanced electric technology, and the Apple Watch, which combines traditional watch design with digital capabilities such as fitness tracking and messaging. Another example is the hybrid solar and wind power system, which combines both renewable energy sources to provide reliable and sustainable energy.