Understanding Velocity Transformation

In summary, the combined speed of approach is 1.5 c, but when one spaceship is measured by the other as 0.7 c, the measured speed is 0.96 c.
Zeeshan Ahmad
Gold Member
Homework Statement
If earth observer sees 1.5c speed
Ship observer see 0.7c
Compute their speeds for earth observer
The complete statement of the question is in the Relevant equation section

I would like have to solution this problem
Relevant Equations
Two spaceships approach each other with 1.5 c (Galilean addition of velocities), according to an observer on earth. The speed of one of these spaceships measured by other's pilot is 0.75 c. Compute their speeds for the observer on earth.
I have used velocity transformation ibut a little confused on it so do solve the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Zeeshan Ahmad said:
Homework Statement:: If Earth observer sees 1.5c speed
Ship observer see 0.7c
Compute their speeds for Earth observer
The complete statement of the question is in the Relevant equation section

I would like have to solution this problem
Relevant Equations:: Two spaceships approach each other with 1.5 c (Galilean addition of velocities), according to an observer on earth. The speed of one of these spaceships measured by other's pilot is 0.75 c. Compute their speeds for the observer on earth.

I have used velocity transformation ibut a little confused on it so do solve the problem
As per forum rules, please post your working so far.
The problem statement belongs in the "homework statement " section. "Relevant equations" is for standard equations relevant to the topic, such as relativistic velocity addition.

Likes Orodruin
This the solution i have done so far
16482792061047674684060299919269.jpg

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
Relevant Equations:: Two spaceships approach each other with 1.5 c (Galilean addition of velocities), according to an observer on earth. The speed of one of these spaceships measured by other's pilot is 0.75 c. Compute their speeds for the observer on earth.
Are you sure about those numbers?

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
View attachment 298947
This doesn't look like a solution to the problem as stated.

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
View attachment 298947
Please define all your variables. Otherwise it may be impossible to pinpoint the error.

PeroK said:
Are you sure about those numbers?
Its 0.7c and 1.5 c in statement typing mistake

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
Its 0.7c and 1.5 c in statement typing mistake
I don't see how those numbers can work out. If one ship measures the speed of the other as ##0.7c##, then the combined speed of approach in the Earth frame must be less than ##1.4c##.

The question looks wrong to me.

Likes jbriggs444
Here's my analysis. We know that the combined speed of approach is ##1.5c##. If the rockets have speeds ##v_1## and ##v_2## in the Earth frame, then ##v_1 + v_2 = 1.5c##.

First, we could have ##v_1 = v_2 = 0.75c##. This gives the speed of either rocket measured by the other rocket as ##0.96c##, which is what you have calculated. Or, in fact, you assumed ##0.7c## and ##0.8c##, which gives a similar answer.

As we increase the speed ##v_1##, the measured speed increases. Eventually, if ##v_1 \approx c## and ##v_2 \approx 0.5c##, then the measured speed is approximately ##c##.

It can never be less than ##0.96c##, let alone ##0.75c##.

That's why the problem cannot be as stated.

1. What is velocity transformation?

Velocity transformation is a concept in physics that describes how the velocity of an object changes when observed from different frames of reference. It takes into account the relative motion between two frames of reference and how it affects the measurement of an object's velocity.

2. Why is velocity transformation important?

Velocity transformation is important because it allows us to accurately measure the velocity of an object from different frames of reference. This is essential in understanding the motion of objects in the universe and making accurate predictions about their behavior.

3. How does velocity transformation work?

Velocity transformation works by using the principles of relative motion and the laws of physics, such as the principle of relativity and the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. It involves converting the velocity measurements from one frame of reference to another using mathematical equations.

4. What are the key equations used in velocity transformation?

The two key equations used in velocity transformation are the Galilean transformation and the Lorentz transformation. The Galilean transformation is used for low velocities, while the Lorentz transformation is used for high velocities and takes into account the effects of relativity.

5. How does velocity transformation relate to other concepts in physics?

Velocity transformation is closely related to other concepts in physics, such as relative motion, relativity, and conservation laws. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Understanding velocity transformation is crucial for a deeper understanding of these concepts and their applications.