1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem integrating WKBJ

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having a problem integrating in a WKBJ semi-classic integral. Well it's this : I have to integrate

[itex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{m}E}\sqrt{E-\frac{x}{\sqrt{m}}}dx[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Actually I don't have that much experience at integrating, so could you somehow show me how to integrate when you have a square root? Step by step this particular one, for example.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried setting the square root equal to a variable, t, and saying that the integral goes like
    [itex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{m}E}t^2dt[/itex] but it didn't seem to work out later on, plus I am almost sure this isn't correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

I would just look it up in a table, as I usually do. I'm sure there's some trick that I was taught in calc 2, but you know, in my experience, most of those tricks are almost never useful anywhere besides a calc 2 test. And for such a simple integral, you can definitely find it in a table. Any integral of a squareroot of a 2nd order polynomial will be in even a modest table of integrals.

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3

turin

Homework Helper

OK, now I feel dumb. Yes, that is such an easy substitution. You just screwed up your limits. I'm guessing that you defined t as the squareroot. So, what is t when x=0 and what is t when x=\sqrt{m}E? Also, I think you get some additional factor.

5. Feb 7, 2009 #4
    That integral can be solved with a simple substitution. Hint: look at the quantity under the radical sign.

6. Feb 7, 2009 #5
    Is this what I should be getting from a table?

When i need to integrate [itex]\int (ax+b) dx[/itex] I set the square root equal to S and proceed to [itex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{m}E}S dx=\frac{2S^3}{3a}[/itex] if [itex]S=\sqrt{ax + b}[/itex]?

7. Feb 7, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, though you probably meant to say

[itex]
    \int \sqrt{ax+b} \ dx
    [/itex]

for the integral.

8. Feb 7, 2009 #7
    Yes indeed, my mistake! Well thanks for the help, I will work on it now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook