How Do Counterweights Affect the Sag of a Rope Bridge?

• Thread starter maroonandgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the problem involves a rope bridge in the Amazon rainforest with a pulley system and three masses involved in keeping the bridge horizontal. The goal is to find an equation for the vertical displacement of the large object in the middle, taking into account the mass of the object, the mass of the counterweights, and the horizontal distance between the two pulleys. The solution involves using the vector equation Ftotal = 0 and considering the tension and angle of the rope at the center of the bridge.
maroonandgold

Homework Statement

Alright, here we go. In the problem, there is a bridge. Basically it's a bridge in the amazon over the trees to make it easier for the explorers to walk and also to protect the forest floor. The bridge is rope bridge, and it's also a pulley system. There are are three masses involved in keeping the bridge horizontal. Each end of the rope supporting the walkway goes over a branch and then is attached to a large weight hanging down. When the team member is at the center of the walkway between two trees, you need to determine how the sag of the walkway is related to the mass of the counterweights and the total mass of the team member with the equipment. Alright, that's the situation, and what I actually have to do is find an equation for the vertical displacement of the large object in the middle in terms of the mass of the large object, the mass of the weights on the other sides of the branches, and the horizontal distance between the two pulleys. And the final equation shouldn't depend on pulleys.

Homework Equations

Hm, I don't know. We just started force this week so I'm not familiar with forces yet. How about f=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been staring blankly at the problem for an hour. And the book has no problem similar to it. I know it involves trigonometry, but that's about all I know.

TIA!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi maroonandgold! Welcome to PF! :wink:
maroonandgold said:
Hm, I don't know. We just started force this week so I'm not familiar with forces yet. How about f=ma?

a, the acceleration, is zero, so this is just the vector equation Ftotal = 0.

Concentrate on the bit of rope at the centre …

it has three forces acting on it, the two tension forces and the weight of the man …

so call the tension T, and the angle θ, and put that into Ftotal = 0 …

what do you get? :smile:

Thank you for providing the problem and your thoughts on it. I can offer some guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of a pulley system. A pulley is a simple machine that changes the direction of a force, allowing us to lift or move objects with less effort. In this case, the pulley system is used to support the bridge and keep it horizontal.

To solve this problem, we can use the principles of equilibrium. This means that the forces acting on the bridge must be balanced in order for it to remain horizontal. The three masses involved are the team member, the counterweights, and the equipment. Each of these masses exerts a force on the bridge, and we can use the equation F=ma to calculate these forces.

Next, we need to consider the forces acting on the pulley system. The tension in the rope is equal on both sides of the pulley, and this tension is what keeps the bridge in equilibrium. We can use trigonometry to determine the relationship between the tension in the rope and the angle of the rope as it passes over the branch.

Finally, we can use the fact that the bridge is in equilibrium to set up an equation that relates the vertical displacement of the large object in the middle to the masses and the horizontal distance between the pulleys. This equation should not depend on the pulleys, as they are just a means to change the direction of the forces.

I understand that this may seem overwhelming at first, but with practice and a solid understanding of the principles involved, you will be able to solve this problem and many others like it. I encourage you to continue studying forces and pulleys, and don't hesitate to seek help from your teacher or classmates if needed. Good luck!

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope, cable, or belt that runs along the groove. It works by changing the direction of the force applied to the rope, allowing the user to lift heavy objects with less effort.

2. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley has a stationary axis and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley has a moving axis and provides mechanical advantage by decreasing the amount of force needed to lift an object. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage.

3. What is mechanical advantage and how does pulley affect it?

Mechanical advantage is the ratio of output force to input force. In the case of a pulley, it is affected by the number of ropes supporting the load. The more ropes used in a pulley system, the greater the mechanical advantage will be. This means that less force is needed to lift the same weight.

4. Can pulleys be used for other purposes besides lifting objects?

Yes, pulleys can also be used for transferring power, such as in a bicycle's gear system. They can also be used for tensioning and guiding ropes or cables, as well as for hoisting flags, sails, or stage curtains.

5. What are some real-life examples of pulleys?

Pulleys are commonly used in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment to lift heavy objects. They are also used in window blinds, flagpoles, and garage doors. In addition, pulleys are used in exercise machines, zip lines, and rock climbing equipment.