1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem involving Newtons laws

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    Problem: Three forces in an xy plane act on 3.10 kg mass. 16.90 N directed at 46 deg, 7.20 N directed at 119 deg and 9.20 N directed at 218 deg . (all angles are measured from the positive x-axis, with positive angles in the counter-clockwise direction.) Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration.

F1=16.90 cos 46 x+ 16.90 sin 46 y
    F2= 7.20 cos 119 x +7.20 sin 119 y
    f3= 9.20 cos 218 x + 9.20 sin 218 y

I keep getting the answer .422 m/s^2, however i am told this is incorrect. I calculated the x and y components for the forces, then added them independently and then I divided each by the mass (after converting to newtons) which should give me the acceleration. I then calculated the magnitude by using the pythag. theorem. is there a step i am missing or am i completely off????

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This seems OK. What did you get for the total force?

What do you mean "after converting to newtons"? The mass should be in kg, as given. Perhaps here is your error.

4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    I have no idea why i converted to newtons, once i calculated it using the mass in kg , I got the correct accleration. In what situation would i have to convert kg to newtons?

5. Sep 18, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since kg is a unit of mass, not force, you can't "convert" one to the other. Sometimes you may be asked to find the weight of a given mass, but that's gotten by [itex]w = mg[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?