Problem involving P-V diagram

In summary, Redbelly says that in order to find the heat energy input/output in each process from A to A, one can use the formula for the specific heat of the gas, but this won't work if the gas has different c values for constant volume and constant pressure. Qnet will be negative for the whole cycle, since the work done (Wnet) will be negative for every process.
issacnewton
Hi

Here is a small problem. I already got the answer for part a. I have question about the part b.
For finding the heat energy input/output in each process from A to A, can't we use the
formula for the specific heat of the gas.

[tex] Q=m\, c \, (\Delta T) [/tex]

But if we use that , I get [itex] Q_{net} =0 [/itex] for the whole cycle.

That could not be correct, since I am getting net work done as

[tex]W_{net}=-4P_i V_i [/tex]

Since in a thermodynamic cycle, we must have

[tex] \Delta E_{int} = 0[/tex]

we deduce that

[tex]Q_{net}=-W_{net} = 4 P_i V_i [/tex]

So what's wrong with my beginning approach to Qnet ?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi

Here is a small problem. I already got the answer for part a. I have question about the part b.
For finding the heat energy input/output in each process from A to A, can't we use the
formula for the specific heat of the gas.

[tex] Q=m\, c \, (\Delta T) [/tex]

But if we use that , I get [itex] Q_{net} =0 [/itex] for the whole cycle.
This is a good question! Without thinking through the details, I suspect the answer lies in the fact that for some paths cv is relevant, and for others cp is used. So adding up c?ΔT for the four paths doesn't result in zero, even if adding up the ΔT's results in zero.

Hi Redbelly, yes , you are right. Gases would have different c values for constant volume and constant pressure.

Redbelly

I got it right now. Here are different heats I got.

[tex] Q_{AB}=mc_v (2T_A) [/tex]

[tex]Q_{BC}=mc_p(6T_A)[/tex]

[tex]Q_{CD}=mc_v(-6T_A) [/tex]

[tex] Q_{DA}=mc_p(-2T_A) [/tex]

so we got

[tex] Q_{net}=4mT_A(c_p-c_v) [/tex]

But for the ideal gas, we have the relation between specific heats of the gas (with repect
to mass , not molar specific heats )

[tex]c_p-c_v = \frac{nR}{m} [/tex]

also at point A, we have

[tex] P_i V_i = nRT_A[/tex]

using these two relations we get

[tex] Q_{net}=4mT_A\left(\frac{nR}{m}\right)=4(nRT_A) = 4P_i V_i [/tex]

[tex] Q_{net} = - W [/tex]

which is what I got earlier. So it makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the hint

Hello,

Your approach to using the formula for specific heat to find the heat input/output in each process is correct. However, the reason you are getting a net heat input/output of 0 for the entire cycle is because the process is reversible. In a reversible process, the change in internal energy is equal to the work done on or by the system, so the net heat input/output will always be equal to the net work done. This is why you are getting a net heat input/output of 4P_iV_i, which is also equal to the net work done of -4P_iV_i. So, there is nothing wrong with your approach, it is just that in a reversible process, the net heat input/output will always be equal to the net work done.

1. What is a P-V diagram?

A P-V diagram, also known as a pressure-volume diagram, is a graph that shows the relationship between the pressure and volume of a system. It is commonly used in thermodynamics to analyze the work and heat transfer of a system.

2. How do you interpret a P-V diagram?

To interpret a P-V diagram, you must understand the axes. The horizontal axis represents volume and the vertical axis represents pressure. The shape of the curve on the graph can indicate the type of process occurring (isobaric, isothermal, adiabatic, etc.), and the area under the curve represents the work done by or on the system.

3. How do you calculate the work done on a P-V diagram?

The work done on a P-V diagram can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on the graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes (rectangles, triangles, etc.) and using their respective formulas to find the area. Then, sum up all the areas to find the total work done.

4. Can a P-V diagram be used for any type of process?

No, a P-V diagram is only applicable for processes where the pressure and volume are changing. It cannot be used for processes where one of these variables remains constant.

5. How is a P-V diagram useful in thermodynamics?

A P-V diagram is useful in thermodynamics because it allows for the visualization of the work and heat transfer of a system, as well as the identification of the type of process occurring. It also helps in the analysis and understanding of the behavior of different systems.