Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem occured during TDM experiment

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
    The experiment is that asynchronus i/p results jitter at o/p for synchronus TDM channel.

In a experiment ,where We gave i/p as square wave (0 to 5 volt) in frequency range 500Hz to 4000 Hz. This square wave is sampled at a rate of 8000 samples/sec. & quantized in 8 bits data , thus resulting in a 64Kbps channel. Such 12 Channels were time division multiplexed (other channels may or may not have the i/p). This multiplexed data is transferred through 850nm optical fibre channel. When signal is received , demultiplexed & o/p is observed. It is seen that in square wave there is overlap in 0(0v) & 1(5v) bit for 125micro seconds, whatever may be frequency in the given range. What is reason for this overlap? :confused:

It was also said that i/p signal is asynchronus for this system, because their frequency differs from the rate at which they are sampled.

As a hint it was given that input is initially sampled at every 125 micro sec(at the rate 8Khz) and it might lead to some conclusion.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted