1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of day 24- help

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    I really need help with this problem. I need to know how to work it and the answer. I am trying to review all these problems and they do not have answers.
    2. It requires 242.7 kJ/mol to fragment Cl2 molecules into Cl atoms. What is the longest wavelength (in nanometers) of light that has enough energy to cause this bond to break?

Could you please explain this to me? I have the answer: 242.7 kJ/mol. Is this right?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2
    To find the energy required to cause one bond to break you would have to divide the energy that is given for one mol of [tex]Cl_{2}[/tex] molecules to fragment into [tex]Cl[/tex] atoms by the number of [tex]Cl_{2}[/tex] molecules in one mol. There are [tex]6.02 \times 10^{23}[/tex] [tex]Cl_{2}[/tex] molecules in one mol.

Then when you've found this amount of energy you can find the photon wavelength required to produce it by using the equation:

[tex]\lambda = \frac {E \times c}{h}[/tex]

Where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the longest wavelength required to fragment the molecules as the calculation assumes no energy is lost, E is the energy of the photon, c is the speed of light (about [tex]3 \times 10^8[/tex]) and h is planck's constant ([tex]6.63 \times 10^{-34}[/tex]).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?