1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of electromagnetism

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello everybody. I have a big problem with this important problem that i can't solve and i have no solution ... A circularly polarized monochromatic wave is reflected from a dielectric mirror which has parameters μ and ε. Its wave vector is k = (k0, 2k0,0). Find the magnetic field B, the electric field E and the Poynting vector S as well as the angle of incidence for which the reflected wave is linearly polarized (i.e. the Brewster angle). Calculate the energy of the system.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think we have to use this (very) general equations :
    B = B0.sin(ωt + δ)
    rot E = - ∂B/∂t
    E = -ωB0.cos (ωt + δ)
    where : ω=k.c = 2∏c/λ
    For the circular polarization, the electric field rotates about its axis in a circle.
    Then, for linear polarization: E remains in the same plane.
    For the Poynting vector : S = B x E / μ (i am not sure if for this equation i have to use μ or μo (in vacuum)). Then we can calculate the energy, I guess ...
    About the angle Brewster, i think we have to use the Fresnel equations (but i don't know how ...).
    I wonder whether it would be better to use the equations in the complex form (instead of the actual form equations (real form)).

Can you help me, please ? Thank you in advance.
    I know that what i have written is not very usefull ... And I'm sorry.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thing about how reflection works for different polarizations, and how you can resolve circular polarization into components wrt the plane of the mirror.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook