1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of Partials

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find [tex]\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}[/tex] for [tex]F(x,y,z,w)=xyz+xzw-yzw+w^2-5=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to get partials (such as Dz/Dx) of functions in the form z = f(x,y). I'm having trouble figuring out this one since it's asking for the partial of w, which is all over the function. I tried putting everything equal to w, but that w2 doesn't help. I thought of perhaps doing implicit differentiation, but I still end up with that extra w on one side.

I'm sure it's something tiny that I'm not seeing, but I need a little push in the right direction.

Thank you much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2
    Re: Partials

Let me rewrite it for you:

[tex] w^2 + w(xz-yx)+ (yz-5) = 0[/tex]

Now if I also write this:
    [tex]w^2 + a*w + b = 0[/tex]

Does it ring a bell what the next step should be?

4. Dec 4, 2009 #3

I tried that, but that would seem to only get everything factored, or to find the values of w when F(x,y,z) is 0. I could be wrong though. I tried something else, I figured since y and z are constants I rearranged it as:

[tex](yz)x + (z)xw - (yz)w + w^2 - 5 = 0[/tex]

Then I just took the partials of all that, and got:

[tex]\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}} = 1(yz) + (x+w)(z) - 1(yz) + 2w = 2w + zw + zx[/tex]

I have no way to check if this is right, but hopefully it is.

Thanks again.

5. Dec 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use "implicit differentiation". For example, if [itex]F(x,y,w)= xw+ yw+ w^2= 0[/itex], assuming that w is a function of x and y but x and y are independent variables, then
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= w+ x\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}+ y\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}+ 2w\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}= 0 [/tex]
    so
    [tex](x+ y+ 2w)\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}= -w[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}= \frac{-w}{x+ y + 2w}[/tex]

6. Dec 5, 2009 #5

I actually had tried implicit differentiation...I don't know why I thought it was wrong because of the w2. Anyways, I tried it again:

Problem: [tex]F(x,y,z,w)=xyz+xzw-yzw+w^2-5=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}=0+w+x\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}-yz\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}+2w\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}= \frac{-w}{x-yz+2w}[/tex]

Thank you all for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook