1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of photon torpedo

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A star-wars laser satellite, whose mass is 5000 kg, is orbiting Earth at a speed of 10.0 km/s. It launches a photon torpedo at an enemy missile which is directly in front of it. The photon torpedo contains [tex]10^3^3[/tex] photons, each having a wavelength of 200nm. What is the speed of the weapons satellite just after the launch?

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation Of Momentum(?)(COM)
    [tex]K_m_a_x = hf - \varphi[/tex]
    [tex]KE = \gamma mc^2 - mc^2[/tex]
    [tex]p = E/c[/tex]
    [tex]v = f\lambda[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

Since we have [tex]\lambda = 200nm[/tex] we can then obtain f = 1.5*10^15 Hz.

However, from here on, i am lost. How do we use the number of photons and equate it in to [tex]p = E/c[/tex] and finally COM. And then there is also a problem of E which i am unable to find since i don't have h, [tex]K_m_a_x = hf - \varphi[/tex].

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2
    This feels like the typical momentum problem involving light, but using sci-fi scale numbers. In these cases, there are a few things to take into consideration:
    -conservation of momentum
    -conservation of energy

As for the relevant equations, there may have been some confusion on what [tex]K_m_a_x = hf - \varphi[/tex], the photoelectric work function, is used for.
    There is also another equation that can be used to find the energy of the photon, not involving [tex]p[/tex]. And h is Plank's constant. Take another look at the possibilities. =)
  4. Feb 2, 2007 #3
    Well i have calculated i out heres what i have obtain :

[tex]p = \frac{h}{\lambda} * 10^3^3[/tex] Since no. of photon is [tex]10^3^3[/tex]

Then using Conservation of momentum, i get :

[tex]mv = p_p_h_o_t_o_n[/tex]
    Which works v out to about 662.6 m/s
    The speed of satellite is therefore 10,000 - 662.6 = 9337.4 m/s

Can anyone confirm my result?
  5. Feb 2, 2007 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you do seems correct, but the answer should be to 2 sf, so
    \delta v=660 and v_sat=9,300.
  6. Feb 2, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?