How Does Firing a Photon Torpedo Affect the Speed of a Star-Wars Satellite?

• Thread starter Delzac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, the weapon satellite launches a photon torpedo which contains 10^3^3 photons each with a wavelength of 200nm. The speed of the satellite just after the launch is 9337.4 m/s.
Delzac

Homework Statement

A star-wars laser satellite, whose mass is 5000 kg, is orbiting Earth at a speed of 10.0 km/s. It launches a photon torpedo at an enemy missile which is directly in front of it. The photon torpedo contains [tex]10^3^3[/tex] photons, each having a wavelength of 200nm. What is the speed of the weapons satellite just after the launch?

Homework Equations

Conservation Of Momentum(?)(COM)
[tex]K_m_a_x = hf - \varphi[/tex]
[tex]KE = \gamma mc^2 - mc^2[/tex]
[tex]p = E/c[/tex]
[tex]v = f\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we have [tex]\lambda = 200nm[/tex] we can then obtain f = 1.5*10^15 Hz.

However, from here on, i am lost. How do we use the number of photons and equate it into [tex]p = E/c[/tex] and finally COM. And then there is also a problem of E which i am unable to find since i don't have h, [tex]K_m_a_x = hf - \varphi[/tex].

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This feels like the typical momentum problem involving light, but using sci-fi scale numbers. In these cases, there are a few things to take into consideration:
-conservation of momentum
-conservation of energy

As for the relevant equations, there may have been some confusion on what [tex]K_m_a_x = hf - \varphi[/tex], the photoelectric work function, is used for.
There is also another equation that can be used to find the energy of the photon, not involving [tex]p[/tex]. And h is Plank's constant. Take another look at the possibilities. =)

Well i have calculated i out here's what i have obtain :

[tex]p = \frac{h}{\lambda} * 10^3^3[/tex] Since no. of photon is [tex]10^3^3[/tex]

Then using Conservation of momentum, i get :

[tex]mv = p_p_h_o_t_o_n[/tex]
Which works v out to about 662.6 m/s
The speed of satellite is therefore 10,000 - 662.6 = 9337.4 m/s

Can anyone confirm my result?

What you do seems correct, but the answer should be to 2 sf, so
\delta v=660 and v_sat=9,300.

Thanks for the help

1. What is a photon torpedo?

A photon torpedo is a type of weapon used in science fiction, particularly in the Star Trek franchise. It is a directed energy weapon that utilizes matter-antimatter annihilation to create a high-energy beam of photons that can be fired at a target.

2. How does a photon torpedo work?

A photon torpedo works by first converting matter into antimatter using a dilithium crystal. When the matter and antimatter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the form of photons. This energy is then directed and focused into a beam that can be fired at a target.

3. What is the problem with photon torpedoes?

One of the main problems with photon torpedoes is the amount of energy and heat they produce. This can be dangerous for the ship firing the torpedo, as well as for the target. Additionally, the antimatter used in the torpedo needs to be carefully stored and handled, as any mishap could result in a catastrophic explosion.

4. Are photon torpedoes possible in real life?

As of now, photon torpedoes are purely a concept found in science fiction. While the idea of using matter-antimatter annihilation to create a directed energy weapon is theoretically possible, the technology and resources required to make it a reality are far beyond our current capabilities.

5. What are some alternatives to photon torpedoes?

Some alternatives to photon torpedoes include other types of directed energy weapons, such as lasers or plasma weapons. These weapons use different methods to create and focus energy, and may have different advantages and disadvantages compared to photon torpedoes. Conventional projectile weapons, such as missiles or bullets, are also frequently used in science fiction as alternatives to photon torpedoes.