1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of Springs

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "If the work required to stretch a spring 3 ft beyond its natural length is 8 ft-lb, how much work W is needed to stretch it 9 in. beyond its natural length?"

2. Relevant equations
    F=kx.

3. The attempt at a solution
    F=kx so 8 = 3k. k= 8/3 then I use an integral of from 0 to .25 (9 inches is .25 of three feet) of (8/3)x. I do it manually and get 1/12. I'm wrong so I do it on a calculator to check for error and I get the same answer. I must be approaching the problem incorrectly, but how?
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Springs

"F=kx so 8 = 3k"
    How did you do this??

You are being given the amount of work done to extend the spring by 3 ft. How did you use the force relation??

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

F = kx is Hooke's law describing the force to stretch a spring. What formula describes the work done when you stretch a spring? (Don't mix up force and work!)

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

Okay so I set 8 equal to the integral from 0 to 3 of the spring constant dx and then solve. How am I supposed to find the spring constant? Is there a better way?

6. Sep 13, 2010 #5

Doc Al

You would integrate the force*dx, thus kx dx (not just k dx).
    The spring constant is your only unknown.
    Sure. Just look up the formula for the work done to stretch a spring. (Hint: It's the same formula for the energy stored in a stretched spring.) That way you won't have to do any integrating. :wink:

7. Sep 13, 2010 #6

Great, so W= .5kx^2. Then 16=kx^2. Since the initial displacement is 3, 16/9 =k. Now knowing the spring constant to be 16/9 I can find the work to move it .25 of three feet as [(.5)(16/9)(.25^2) which gives me 1/18. But I'm still wrong? Did I make another stupid mistake?

8. Sep 13, 2010 #7

And by the way, thank you for bearing with me

9. Sep 13, 2010 #8

Doc Al

9 inches = how many feet?

10. Sep 13, 2010 #9

9 inches is 3/4 of a foot but I'm solving for three feet so that would makes nine inches a quarter of three feet. Am I really missing something this obvious?

11. Sep 13, 2010 #10

Wow I'm stupid. I just figured it out. Thanks for putting up with this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook