Solve for Work to Stretch Spring 9in. Beyond Natural Length

• Thread starter rubecuber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, the individual is trying to calculate the work required to stretch a spring by 9 inches beyond its natural length, given that the work required to stretch it by 3 feet is 8 ft-lb. They first tried using the force relation F=kx, but then realized that they needed to use the formula for work done on a spring, which is 0.5kx^2. After finding the spring constant to be 16/9, they incorrectly calculated the work by using 0.25 as the displacement instead of 0.75, leading to an incorrect answer. They eventually realized their mistake and found the correct answer to be 1.5 in-lb.
rubecuber

Homework Statement

"If the work required to stretch a spring 3 ft beyond its natural length is 8 ft-lb, how much work W is needed to stretch it 9 in. beyond its natural length?"

Homework Equations

F=kx.

The Attempt at a Solution

F=kx so 8 = 3k. k= 8/3 then I use an integral of from 0 to .25 (9 inches is .25 of three feet) of (8/3)x. I do it manually and get 1/12. I'm wrong so I do it on a calculator to check for error and I get the same answer. I must be approaching the problem incorrectly, but how?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

"F=kx so 8 = 3k"
How did you do this??

You are being given the amount of work done to extend the spring by 3 ft. How did you use the force relation??

F = kx is Hooke's law describing the force to stretch a spring. What formula describes the work done when you stretch a spring? (Don't mix up force and work!)

Okay so I set 8 equal to the integral from 0 to 3 of the spring constant dx and then solve. How am I supposed to find the spring constant? Is there a better way?

rubecuber said:
Okay so I set 8 equal to the integral from 0 to 3 of the spring constant dx and then solve.
You would integrate the force*dx, thus kx dx (not just k dx).
How am I supposed to find the spring constant?
The spring constant is your only unknown.
Is there a better way?
Sure. Just look up the formula for the work done to stretch a spring. (Hint: It's the same formula for the energy stored in a stretched spring.) That way you won't have to do any integrating. :wink:

Great, so W= .5kx^2. Then 16=kx^2. Since the initial displacement is 3, 16/9 =k. Now knowing the spring constant to be 16/9 I can find the work to move it .25 of three feet as [(.5)(16/9)(.25^2) which gives me 1/18. But I'm still wrong? Did I make another stupid mistake?

And by the way, thank you for bearing with me

rubecuber said:
Great, so W= .5kx^2. Then 16=kx^2. Since the initial displacement is 3, 16/9 =k. Now knowing the spring constant to be 16/9 I can find the work to move it .25 of three feet as [(.5)(16/9)(.25^2) which gives me 1/18. But I'm still wrong? Did I make another stupid mistake?
9 inches = how many feet?

9 inches is 3/4 of a foot but I'm solving for three feet so that would makes nine inches a quarter of three feet. Am I really missing something this obvious?

Wow I'm stupid. I just figured it out. Thanks for putting up with this.

What is the formula for solving work on a stretched spring?

The formula for solving work on a stretched spring is W = 1/2kx2, where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its natural length.

How do I determine the spring constant?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by its displacement from its natural length. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit of length (such as N/m or lbs/in).

What is the natural length of a spring?

The natural length of a spring is the length at which it is in equilibrium and has no external force acting on it. This is also known as the relaxed or unstretched length of the spring.

How do I calculate the displacement of a stretched spring?

The displacement of a stretched spring can be calculated by subtracting its natural length from its stretched length. This can also be represented as x in the formula for solving work on a stretched spring (W = 1/2kx2).

Can I use the same formula for any type of spring?

Yes, the formula for solving work on a stretched spring (W = 1/2kx2) can be used for any type of spring as long as the spring constant and displacement are known. However, keep in mind that different types of springs may have different units for their spring constant.