Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of the day

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    Let B be a solid box with length L, width W, and height H. Let S be the set of all points that are a distance at most 1 from some point of B. Express the volume of S in terms of L,W, and H. Have fun.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  4. Aug 9, 2005 #3
    Don't forget the corners: pasted together they constitute a unit-sphere, so there is an extra contribution of 4/3 pi to the volume of S:

[tex]L W H+2L W+2H W+2L H+\pi H+\pi L+\pi W + \frac{4}{3}\pi[/tex]
  5. Aug 9, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok thanks. Now I know what you guys were talking about. I though he meant a point INSIDE the box say (h,j,k). I think that's a little more difficult: what is the volume of the solid formed by all points inside the box that are a distance of 1 unit away from the point (say for a box 2x2x2)? Are there points in the box that yield a miniumum volume? Is it at the corners? So conceivably, we could construct a function of 3 variables: f(x,y,z), which yields this volume as a function of position in the box. Really, I think just calculating one such volume would be difficult.
  6. Aug 9, 2005 #5
    o right, i forgot about the corners, thanks
  7. Sep 30, 2009 #6
    can someone please explain where the l(pi)+h(pi)+w(pi) came from. sorry im a physics student and we were given a similar problem, and i just dont really understand. our was for a different shape and different distance but i think this helps.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?