What is the integral of x - sin x over x^3 from 0 to infinity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, the integral in this equation represents the area under the curve of the function x - sin x over x^3 from 0 to infinity. It can be calculated using various integration techniques, and the upper limit is set to infinity because the function has no finite endpoint. The x^3 in the denominator allows the integral to converge, and it has applications in physics, engineering, and economics.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW!

-----
Evaluate the integral

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{x - \sin x}{x^3}\, dx$$
-----

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to GJA, Ackbach, and Dhamnekar Winod for their correct solutions. You can read GJA's solution below.
We will show $$\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x-\sin(x)}{x^{3}}dx = \frac{\pi}{4}$$ by considering the auxiliary integral $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x+ie^{ix}}{x^3}dx\qquad (1);$$ the motivation for which comes from noting that $f(x) = \dfrac{x-\sin(x)}{x^{3}}$ is an even function and $\Re(x+ie^{ix}) = -\sin(x)$. We evaluate (1) using the multicolored contour, $C$, shown below, where the inner and outer semicircles have radii $\varepsilon$ and $R$, respectively.

Since the integrand in (1) is analytic/holomorphic on and inside $C$ when extended to $\mathbb{C}$, the residue theorem tells us $$\int_{C}\frac{z+ie^{iz}}{z^3}dz = 0\qquad (2).$$ Next, we observe that $$\left |\int_{\text{Blue}}\frac{z+ie^{iz}}{z^{3}}dz\right |\leq\int_{\text{Blue}}\frac{|z|+1}{|z|^3}dz=\frac{\pi R(R+1)}{R^{3}}\longrightarrow 0\,\,\,\text{as}\,\,\, R\rightarrow \infty.$$ Hence, in the limit as $R\rightarrow\infty$, (2) becomes $$\int_{-\infty}^{-\varepsilon}\frac{x+ie^{ix}}{x^3}dx+\int_{\text{Green}}\frac{z+ie^{iz}}{z^{3}}dz + \int_{\varepsilon}^{\infty}\frac{x+ie^{ix}}{x^3}dx = 0.$$ Using the substitution $x\mapsto -x$ in the first integral immediately above and the identity $\sin(x) = \dfrac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}$, the previous equation yields $$\int_{\varepsilon}^{\infty}\frac{x-\sin(x)}{x^{3}}dx = -\frac{1}{2}\int_{\text{Green}}\frac{z+ie^{iz}}{z^{3}}dz\qquad (3).$$ Along the green contour we have $z = \varepsilon e^{i\theta}$ from $\theta = \pi$ to $\theta = 0$; hence, $$\int_{\text{Green}}\frac{z+ie^{iz}}{z^{3}}dz = \int_{\pi}^{0}\frac{\varepsilon e^{i\theta}+ie^{i\varepsilon e^{i\theta}}}{\varepsilon^{3}e^{3i\theta}}i\varepsilon e^{i\theta}d\theta = -\frac{i}{\varepsilon^{2}}\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{\varepsilon e^{i\theta}+ie^{i\varepsilon e^{i\theta}}}{e^{2i\theta}}d\theta.$$ Expanding $e^{i\varepsilon e^{i\theta}}$ in a power series the above becomes $$\frac{1}{\varepsilon^{2}}\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-\dfrac{\varepsilon^{2}e^{2i\theta}}{2}+\mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^{3})}{e^{2i\theta}}d\theta = \frac{1}{\varepsilon^{2}}\left[\int_{0}^{\pi}e^{-2i\theta}d\theta-\frac{\varepsilon^{2}}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi}d\theta + \mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^{3})\int_{0}^{\pi}e^{-2i\theta}d\theta\right],$$ where $\mathcal{O}$ is taken to mean for $\varepsilon\rightarrow 0$. Hence, taking $\varepsilon\rightarrow 0$ in (3) we obtain $$\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x-\sin(x)}{x^{3}}dx = \left(-\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(-\frac{\pi}{2}\right) = \frac{\pi}{4}.$$

[DESMOS]{"version":7,"graph":{"viewport":{"xmin":-10,"ymin":-12.5,"xmax":10,"ymax":12.5}},"randomSeed":"1de3806c5f6be5dadd751fda5f03bd27","expressions":{"list":[{"type":"expression","id":"1","color":"#2d70b3","latex":"y=\\sqrt{16-x^{2}}"},{"type":"expression","id":"2","color":"#c74440","latex":"y=\\left\\{-4\\le x\\le-1:\\ 0,\\ 1\\le x\\le4:0\\right\\}"},{"type":"expression","id":"3","color":"#388c46","latex":"y=\\sqrt{1-x^{2}}"}]}}[/DESMOS]

1. What is the concept of an integral?

The integral is a mathematical operation that is the inverse of differentiation. It is used to find the area under a curve, or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use tables of integrals or computer software to find the answer.

3. What is the meaning of the notation "x - sin x over x^3" in the integral?

The notation represents the function that is being integrated. In this case, it is the difference of the variable x and the sine of x, divided by the cube of x.

4. What is the significance of the limits of integration in this integral?

The limits of integration, 0 and infinity, define the interval over which the function is being integrated. In this case, the integral is being evaluated from 0 to infinity, indicating that the function is being integrated over all positive values of x.

5. How do you interpret the result of this integral?

The result of this integral is a numerical value that represents the area under the curve of the function from 0 to infinity. It can also be interpreted as the accumulation of the quantity represented by the function over the same interval.