What's the solution to POTW #476?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, POTW #476 is a weekly problem-solving challenge for scientists and mathematicians. Its purpose is to provide a fun and challenging problem to promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills. To participate, one can visit the designated website or forum to submit solutions and collaborate with other participants. The problems featured in POTW #476 come from various fields of science and mathematics, and there are no official rewards for solving them, but some may offer prizes or recognition.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----Let $a,\,b,\,c$ and $d$ be the roots to the polynomial $f(x)=x^4-3x^3+2x^2+5x-4$ . Evaluate $\left(a+1+\dfrac{1}{a}\right)\left(b+1+\dfrac{1}{b}\right)\left(c+1+\dfrac{1}{c}\right)\left(d+1+\dfrac{1}{d}\right)$.
-----

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered last two week's POTW. However, you can read the suggested solution as follows:
Let $w=e^{\frac{2\pi i}{3}}$ so

$\begin{align*}P(x)&=x^4-3x^3+2x^2+5x-4\\&=2w^2+6w-7\\&=2\left(-\dfrac{1}{2}-\dfrac{i\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)+6\left(-\dfrac{1}{2}+\dfrac{i\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)-7\\&=-1+i\sqrt{3}-3+3i\sqrt{3}-7=2i\sqrt{3}-11\end{align*}$

With this we see that what we are intended to find is indeed $\displaystyle \prod_{f(r)=0}\dfrac{r^2+r+1}{r}=(-1)^4\prod_{f(r)=0}\dfrac{(w-r)(w^2-r)}{(0-r)}=\dfrac{P(w)P(w^2)}{P(0)}$.

Since $w^2=\overline{w}$, $P(w^2)=\overline{P(w)}$, so $P(w^2)=-2i\sqrt{3}-11$ and so

$P(w)P(w^2)=|2i\sqrt{3}-11|^2=121+12=133$

and $P(0)=-4$,

Hence $\left(a+1+\dfrac{1}{a}\right)\left(b+1+\dfrac{1}{b}\right)\left(c+1+\dfrac{1}{c}\right)\left(d+1+\dfrac{1}{d}\right)=-\dfrac{133}{4}$.

1. What exactly is POTW #476?

POTW #476 stands for "Problem of the Week #476" and is a weekly challenge presented by a group or organization to test the problem-solving skills of its members.

2. What is the purpose of POTW #476?

The purpose of POTW #476 is to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills in a fun and challenging way. It also allows individuals to showcase their abilities and learn from others' solutions.

3. How do I participate in POTW #476?

To participate in POTW #476, you must first join the group or organization that is hosting the challenge. Then, you will be given the problem and a deadline to submit your solution. Make sure to follow any specific guidelines or rules provided.

4. Are there any prizes for solving POTW #476?

The prizes for POTW #476 may vary depending on the group or organization hosting the challenge. Some may offer a small reward or recognition for the winner, while others may simply provide the satisfaction of solving a difficult problem.

5. Is there a "right" solution to POTW #476?

There may be multiple ways to solve POTW #476, and there is no one "right" solution. The goal is to come up with a logical and effective solution that meets the requirements of the problem. Don't be discouraged if your solution is different from others, as there are often many ways to approach a problem.