1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on Algebraic Closure

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1
    Why is it that [tex]\mathbb{C}(x)[/tex] ([tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] adjoined with x) is not algebraically closed? Here x is an indeterminate.

My first question is what does the field extension [tex]\mathbb{C}(x)[/tex] even mean? If E is a field extension of F, and a is an transcendental element of E over F, then the notation [tex]\mathbb{C}(a)[/tex] is defined to mean the field of quotients of [tex]\mathbb{C}[a][/tex] (set of polynomials with complex coefficients). If a is algebraic then [tex]\mathbb{C}(a)[/tex] is defined to be [tex]\mathbb{C}[a][/tex] (which is the same thing as the field of quotients of [tex]\mathbb{C}[a][/tex], since in this case [tex]\mathbb{C}[a][/tex] is a field).

Now x is an indeterminate, is that the algebraic or transcendental case? i.e. does [tex]\mathbb{C}(x)[/tex] mean field of quotients of polynomials with complex coefficients, or does it mean just polynomials with complex coefficients.

So apparently [tex]\mathbb{C}(x)[/tex] is somehow not algebraically closed. So is there a complex polynomial whose root isn't a complex number? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\mathbb{C}(x)[/tex] has to be field of quotients, because it has to be a field.

It's not a complex polynomial. It's a polynomial with coefficients in [tex]\mathbb{C}(x)[/tex]. (note these will NOT be polynomials in x). For example:

[tex]p(y)=x^4y^2 + (3x^2-\frac{2}{x})y + \frac{3}{x}[/tex]

is a quadratic polynomial. The question is whether you can find a solution [tex] y \in \mathbb{C}(x)[/tex]

4. Jun 11, 2010 #3
    So the notation [tex]\mathbb{C}(x)[/tex] isn't related to the notation [tex]\mathbb{C}(a)[/tex], where a is algebraic or transcendental?

Hmm I thought field of quotients meant something in the form p(x)/q(x) i.e. has elements like:
    [tex]\frac{2ix^2 -3}{4i-x}[/tex].
    So this isn't right either?

Also, while on the subject of field extensions, why is it that: if E is a field extension of F, and a in E is algebraic over F, if b in F(a) then F(b) is a subfield of F(a).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. Jun 11, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you have for your definition for [tex]F(a)[/tex] if F is a field?

6. Jun 11, 2010 #5
    If F is a field, then F[a] would be the set of all polynomials in a, (i.e. a typical element would be b_n * a^n + ... + b_1 * a + b_0 where all the b_ i in F), then F(a) is defined to be the field of quotients of F[a].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook