Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on Bell States

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    This is not a homework problem, I hope im in the right forum.

Suppose a magnetic field is applied long enough so that the spin up particles acquire a phase of Pi/2 expressed as i=squareroot(-1).
    How does each of the four bell states transform under this phase gate.
    What is exactly happening to the triplet bell state?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Can you explain why you need to know this? That might help people to contextualize your question, since it's otherwise a textbook problem.
  4. Oct 4, 2007 #3
    If this is a text book problem, do you know any refrences that can help me solve this. Because I cant find any!
    This is a pre-requiste in understanding some lab expermient work.
  5. Oct 4, 2007 #4
    I meant to say this is not due for homework, maybe that is confusing people.
    Its not a theoritical question.
    I hope im not in the wrong forum
  6. Oct 4, 2007 #5

Sounds like graduate work. Perhaps you should ask your advisor? That what he/she is there for.
  7. Oct 4, 2007 #6
    I will but if anyone can help me asap that much better.
  8. Oct 5, 2007 #7
    Figure out what the evolution operator is and use it to solve your question.
  9. Oct 10, 2007 #8
    I think you can take the magnetic field as a quantum logic gate, which operates on the state of entangled particles and see what the results will be.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?