Is Including Pressure in a Kalman Filter for Wind Forecast Causing High Error?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a multiple parameter Kalman filter to remove systematic errors from the output of a numerical weather prediction model. It is mentioned that when applying the filter to wind forecasts, including pressure as a predictor can result in high errors. The speaker is seeking clarification on whether there are limitations to using a Kalman filter or if pressure is not suitable to be included in post-processing. They also mention attempting to convert the pressure values and subtracting them by 1000, but the error is still large. They ask for assistance in resolving this issue.
maggie_pui
Hi,
I am now using multiple parameters kalman filter to remove the systematic error of the output from the numerical weather prediction model. when applying kalman filter to the wind forecast, there is high error if pressure is included to be the predictors. I would like to know if there any limitation for kalman filter or pressure is not suitable to included into kalman filter to do postprocessing?

p.s. pressure is in Pa
I tried to convert them to hPa and also subtract them by 1000 but still the error is so large, up to 1000Pa.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
can anyone help me??

1. What is a Kalman filter and how does it work?

A Kalman filter is a mathematical algorithm that is used to estimate the state of a system by combining noisy measurements with a predicted model. It works by continuously adjusting the predicted model based on the incoming measurements, resulting in a more accurate estimation of the system's state over time.

2. What types of systems can benefit from using a Kalman filter?

Kalman filters are commonly used in systems that involve noisy measurements, uncertain information, and dynamic processes. Some examples include navigation systems, robotics, financial forecasting, and signal processing.

3. What are the advantages of using a Kalman filter?

The main advantage of using a Kalman filter is its ability to provide accurate estimations of a system's state, even in the presence of noisy or incomplete measurements. It also has a low computational cost and can be easily implemented in real-time applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Kalman filter?

While Kalman filters are effective in many applications, they do have some limitations. They rely on a linear model and Gaussian noise, which may not accurately represent all systems. They also require knowledge of the system dynamics and measurement noise, which may not always be available.

5. How do I tune a Kalman filter for my specific system?

Tuning a Kalman filter involves adjusting the parameters of the algorithm to best fit the specific system and its dynamics. This can be done through simulation or by using data from the actual system. It may also require some trial and error to find the optimal parameters for a given system.