1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on Kinetic Friction

Tags:
  1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    1. A police officer investigating an accident estimates from the damage done that a moving car hit a stationary car at 25 km/h. If the moving car left skid marks 44 m long, and if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.68, what was the initial speed of the moving car?

2. Relevant equations
    fk = μk N

F = ma
    3. The attempt at a solution
    drew a free body diagram, converted 25 km/h to 6.94 m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you calculate the deceleration of the skidding car?

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    i tried and i do not know how. i tried getting the time by multiplying some number bye 44 in order to give me 6.94 but I didn't get the exact number... it is approaching to 6.3something.

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4
    Apply Newton 2 to your free-body diagram to get the acceleration of the car.
    Then you can calculate the initial velocity.

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is the change in kinetic energy of the car (ie. from just before the skid starts until it strikes the car) related to the length of the skid mark and the force of friction?

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook