Problem on Kinetic Friction

In summary, the police officer estimated that a moving car hit a stationary car at 25 km/h based on the damage done. The moving car left skid marks 44 m long and had a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.68. By drawing a free body diagram and using Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of the car can be calculated, which can then be used to determine the initial velocity of the car. The change in kinetic energy is related to the length of the skid mark and the force of friction.
Robertoalva
1. A police officer investigating an accident estimates from the damage done that a moving car hit a stationary car at 25 km/h. If the moving car left skid marks 44 m long, and if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.68, what was the initial speed of the moving car?

Homework Equations

fk = μk N

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

drew a free body diagram, converted 25 km/h to 6.94 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you calculate the deceleration of the skidding car?

i tried and i do not know how. i tried getting the time by multiplying some number bye 44 in order to give me 6.94 but I didn't get the exact number... it is approaching to 6.3something.

Apply Newton 2 to your free-body diagram to get the acceleration of the car.
Then you can calculate the initial velocity.

Robertoalva said:
1. A police officer investigating an accident estimates from the damage done that a moving car hit a stationary car at 25 km/h. If the moving car left skid marks 44 m long, and if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.68, what was the initial speed of the moving car?

Homework Equations

fk = μk N

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

drew a free body diagram, converted 25 km/h to 6.94 m/s
How is the change in kinetic energy of the car (ie. from just before the skid starts until it strikes the car) related to the length of the skid mark and the force of friction?

AM

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces in contact and is dependent on the relative speed between the two surfaces.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction acts on objects that are already in motion, while static friction acts on objects that are at rest. Kinetic friction is typically weaker than static friction and requires less force to overcome.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic friction?

The magnitude of kinetic friction depends on the types of surfaces in contact, the normal force between the surfaces, and the velocity of the moving object. Additionally, the roughness of the surfaces can also affect the magnitude of kinetic friction.

4. How do you calculate the force of kinetic friction?

The force of kinetic friction can be calculated using the equation Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force between the surfaces.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces, using smoother surfaces, and reducing the normal force between the surfaces. Additionally, increasing the velocity of the moving object can also reduce the force of kinetic friction.