Proving the Equivalence of Power Sets: A Challenge in Bijection

In summary, the conversation is about proving that ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\sim \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+}), and the participants discuss different approaches to solving the problem. They consider using bijections and diagonal arguments to show the equivalence between the two sets. They eventually come up with a diagonal argument that can create a sequence from an element in {}^{\mathbb{Z}^+}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+) that corresponds to an element in \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+).
issacnewton
Hi

Here is the problem I am doing. Prove that

[tex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\sim \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/tex]

Where [itex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] is the set of functions
from [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex].

To prove this I will need to come up with some bijection from [itex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex]

I am having hard time with this bijection. How do you map a subset of [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] to some function from [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] to
[itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex]

I have been able to get some insight into the problem so far. I have proven that
[itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+}) [/itex] is uncountable. So it means that any function
from [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+}) [/itex] can not be onto.

I would appreciate further insight to attack the problem.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can start by proving that

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)\cong {}^{\mathbb{Z}^+}\{0,1\}[/tex]

micromass

I have already proved that for any set A

[tex]\mathcal{P}(A)\sim \; ^{A}\{\mbox{ yes,no }\}[/tex]

So putting yes=1 and no=0 and letting [itex]A= \mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] , we get what you
are saying. I have also proved that for any sets A,B,C

[tex]^{(A\times B)}C\;\sim \; ^{A}( ^{B}C) [/tex]

So how do things help me ?

Now it suffices to show

[tex]\mathbb{Z}^+\times \mathbb{Z}^+ \cong \mathbb{Z}^+[/tex]

ok I think I got it

I have already shown that [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+}\;\sim\; \mathbb{Z^+}[/itex]

Also I have shown previously that for any sets A,B,C,D if [itex]A\sim B[/itex] and [itex]C\sim D[/itex] then it follows that

[tex]^{A}C \;\sim \;^{B}D\cdots\;(1)[/tex]

and

[tex]\mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim\;\mathcal{P}(B)[/tex]

So it follows that

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\;\mathcal{P}( \mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+})\cdots\;(2)[/tex]

Since for any set A

[tex]\mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim\; ^{A}\{0,1\}[/tex]

we have

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; ^{(\mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+} )} \{0,1\} \cdots\;(3)[/tex]

But for any sets A,B,C we have

[tex]^{(A\times B)}C\;\sim\; ^{A}( ^{B}C) [/tex]

So we have

[tex]^{(\mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+} )} \{0,1\}\;\sim\; ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}(^{\mathbb{Z^+}} \{0,1\} )\cdots\;(4)[/tex]

so using equations 2, 3 and 4 ,due to transitivity of [itex]\sim[/itex] we can say that

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}(^{\mathbb{Z^+}} \{0,1\} )
\cdots\;(5)[/tex]

Now

[tex]\mathbb{Z^+}\;\sim \mathbb{Z^+}[/tex]

and

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\{0,1\} [/tex]

It follows from 1 that

[tex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}(^{\mathbb{Z^+}} \{0,1\} )[/tex]

Now using 5 , we can say that

[tex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/tex]

thanks micromass, that was a lot of typing :cry:

I was thinking of coming up with some bijection. I think that's probably lot more difficult
in this case.

By the way I was wondering, if any bijection could be found between
[itex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] ?

Yes, I think so. Notice that every element of [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] is determined by a sequence of 0 and 1 (where 1 means that the corresponding element is in the subset). For example, the subset

[tex]\{1,4,5,10\}[/tex] is

[tex]1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,...[/tex]

Now, given an element of [itex]{}^{\mathbb{Z}^+}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex]. Such an element is a countable list of sequences. So such an element is given by

[tex]x_{1,1},x_{1,2},x_{1,3},x_{1,4},x_{1,5},...[/tex]
[tex]x_{2,1},x_{2,2},x_{2,3},x_{2,4},x_{2,5},...[/tex]
[tex]x_{3,1},x_{3,2},x_{3,3},x_{3,4},x_{3,5},...[/tex]
[tex]x_{4,1},x_{4,2},x_{4,3},x_{4,4},x_{4,5},...[/tex]
[tex]x_{5,1},x_{5,2},x_{5,3},x_{5,4},x_{5,5},...[/tex]

We wish to make an element of [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] of that. So we wish to make one sequence of it. This is possible by following the diagonals. So an associated sequence would be

[tex]x_{1,1},x_{1,2},x_{2,1},x_{1,3},x_{2,2},x_{3,1},...[/tex]

Micromass, but how do we make sure that every element of [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] has an element associated in [itex]{}^{\mathbb{Z}^+}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] ?

For example consider [itex]\{1\} \in \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] . How does your
diagonal argument work here ?

What is the power set of N?

The power set of N, denoted as P(N), is the set of all possible subsets of the natural numbers, including the empty set and the set of all natural numbers itself.

How many elements are in the power set of N?

The power set of N has 2n elements, where n is the number of elements in the original set. In the case of N, which is an infinite set, the power set also has an infinite number of elements.

How is the power set of N calculated?

The power set of N can be calculated using the formula 2n, where n is the number of elements in the original set. For example, if N = {1, 2, 3}, then P(N) = 23 = 8, and the power set would include the sets {}, {1}, {2}, {3}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {2,3}, and {1,2,3}.

What is the relationship between the power set of N and the original set?

The power set of N contains all the possible subsets of the original set, including the empty set and the original set itself. This means that the power set is always larger than the original set.

How is the power set of N used in mathematics?

The power set of N is used in various branches of mathematics, such as set theory, combinatorics, and topology. It is also used in computer science and programming to represent collections of objects and to solve problems involving combinations and permutations.