Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on test today

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    There was a question on my math test today and i didnt even understand the problem. I want to see if anyone else knows how to do it. So here it goes:
    "Use Calculus to prove which vertex angle an isoseles triange the greatest area"

I think your supposed to find a equation for Area and Perimeter. Then take one of the equations and solve for a variable. Plug it into the next equation and then differentiate, like i would do on optimization problems, but i didnt know how to do it with this problem. Below is the figure given.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure,there might be more to your problem than what i understood:
    [tex] S_{triangle} =\frac{k^{2}\sin\theta}{2} [/tex],where k and k are the 2 sides of the isosceles triangle assuled constant and the angle [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle between the 2 congruent segments.
    This of S as a function of only one variable,the angle [itex] \theta [/itex] and use the principle of extremum to find the angle for which the area is maximum.Then find that maximum inserting the value for maxmum in the initial function.

As i said,maybe the problem is more complicated,but for now,try to solve it this way.

Daniel.

4. Dec 10, 2004 #3
    k thankssss :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?