Problem on Uniform acceleration

In summary: hey rl.bhat:smile:, first you prove it mathematically throughout your conclusions in analyzing the motion of the lift, when the (minus) sign appears then you have a physical explanation to it, which is the lift is stopping after 15 secs and it retardates.
taichi2910

Homework Statement

Please can somebody help me,I have got this problem from my college but i have NO clue how to solve the problem, this is how it goes:

A lift rises 50m in 15 seconds . During the first quarttance distance the velocity is uniformly accelerating and during the last tenth portion it is uniformly retarded. if the velocity is constant durning the centre portion of travel calculate:

-1) the velocity in the centre portion of travel
-2) the acceleration and the retardation values
-3) why has question 2 got both positive and negative values

please help me in any way you can by either solving the problems and explanation of solving
Any help would be highly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
this should be posted in the Introductory Physics

start with solving 1, find the speed which is constant, first you do need to subtract [¼(15 sec) + 1/10(15 sec)] from 15, as for the last question why would the retardation be negative you think? If it isn’t, then the elevator will crash up there!

drizzle said:
this should be posted in the Introductory Physics

start with solving 1, find the speed which is constant, first you do need to subtract [¼(15 sec) + 1/10(15 sec)] from 15, as for the last question why would the retardation be negative you think? If it isn’t, then the elevator will crash up there!
In the problem 1/4th and 1/10th of the distance is mentioned not the time.
Now the lift starts from rest and acquires a velocity v in quarter distance in time t1. The average velocity is v/2 and distance moved is d1. Then d1= 1/2*vt1. It moves some distance d2 with uniform velocity during time t2 which is equal to vt2. And the remaining distance d3 during time t3 which is equal to 1/2*v*t3. Add these three and solve for v.

rl.bhat said:
In the problem 1/4th and 1/10th of the distance is mentioned not the time.

gheeeeeeeeeeeeee you're right how did I miss it, still sleepy I think

note: the third part of your solution should be negative, that is -1/2*v*t3:wink:

Last edited:
for a better understanding:

in the quarttance distance part: d1=[(v1-v0)/2]*t1 ; v0=0

in mid-distance: d2=[v1]*t2 ; the velocity in midway v1 is constant

in the tenth portion part: d3=[(v3-v1)/2]*t1 ; v3=0, the lift stops

retyping those as follows

d1=[v1 /2]*t1 ==> d1=1/4[50 m]

d2=[v1]*t2 ==> d2= 50-[d1+d3]

d3=[-v1/2]*t3 ==> d3=1/10[50 m]

v1 here is the velocity in the centre portion of travel

what a lucky guy you are taichi2910 you got an answer :tongue:

Last edited:
drizzle said:
gheeeeeeeeeeeeee your right how did I missed it, still sleepy I think

note: the third part of your solution should be negative, that is -1/2*v*t3:wink:

The average velocity is positive.

rl.bhat said:
The average velocity is positive.

the last velocity value SHOULD be negative so you can calculate the retardation and get a negative value:wink:

drizzle said:
the last velocity value SHOULD be negative so you can calculate the retardation and get a negative value:wink:
In the equation v = vo - at, vo need not be negative. In the problem the direction of the velocity remains the same from beginning to end.

rl.bhat said:
In the equation v = vo - at, vo need not be negative. In the problem the direction of the velocity remains the same from beginning to end.

where did you get the minus from?! in the known kinematic equation it's plus, that is;

v = vo + at

drizzle said:
where did you get the minus from?! in the known kinematic equation it's plus, that is;

v = vo + at
In the given problem, in the last portion of the motion, the lift is moving with the retardation. The above equation is for that portion of the motion. In your post you have mentioned that the velocity in that portion SHOULD be negative.

rl.bhat said:
In the given problem, in the last portion of the motion, the lift is moving with the retardation. The above equation is for that portion of the motion. In your post you have mentioned that the velocity in that portion SHOULD be negative.

hey rl.bhat:smile:, first you prove it mathematically throughout your conclusions in analyzing the motion of the lift, when the (minus) sign appears then you have a physical explanation to it, which is the lift is stopping after 15 secs and it retardates.

1. What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is a type of motion in which an object's velocity increases or decreases by the same amount over equal time intervals. This means that the object is experiencing a constant acceleration throughout its motion.

2. How is uniform acceleration different from non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is characterized by a constant change in velocity, while non-uniform acceleration involves a changing rate of change in velocity. In other words, in uniform acceleration, the object's velocity changes by the same amount in each time interval, but in non-uniform acceleration, the change in velocity varies over time.

3. What is the equation for calculating uniform acceleration?

The equation for uniform acceleration is final velocity (v) = initial velocity (u) + acceleration (a) x time (t).

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in the context of uniform acceleration?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity includes both the speed and direction of the object's motion. In the context of uniform acceleration, speed may be constant, but the velocity is changing due to the changing direction of the object's motion.

5. How can uniform acceleration be applied in real life?

Uniform acceleration can be observed in various real-life situations, such as objects falling under the influence of gravity, cars accelerating from a stop, or a rocket launching into space. Understanding uniform acceleration can also help in predicting the motion of objects and designing vehicles and machines with efficient acceleration.