1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem regarding '+ or -' with squares and square roots in a differential equation

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve:

y'=x+y, y(0)=2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I THINK my method is correct.. but I messed up somewhere.

I rearrange for y'-y=x

integrate both sides gets me:

y-[itex]\frac{y^{2}}{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/itex]

after completing the square I get

(y-1)[itex]^{2}[/itex]=-x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1

But this is where I mess up. To solve for y, I square root each side. But then I get '+ or -' on the right side:

y=[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{-x^{2}+1}[/itex]+1+c

so solving for both cases gets me c=0 OR c=2. But I can only have once answer. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Problem regarding '+ or -' with squares and square roots in a differential equati

Going from y'-y=x to [itex]y-\frac{y^2}{2} =\frac{x^2}{2}[/itex] is wrong. The DE reads as [itex] dy - y dx = x dx,[/itex] so when you integrate on the left you don't get y - y^2/2. You need to use an "integrating factor"; see http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/geomath/level2/deqn/de8.html , or read your textbook.

RGV

4. Feb 14, 2012 #3
    Re: Problem regarding '+ or -' with squares and square roots in a differential equati

Thanks! Your hint helped me get the right answer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook