1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem resolving an Integral

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    1. So, I have this integral which i'll post in a moment. The thing is that i attempted to resolve the integral by parts and i came up with a solution, but then i looked up in the internet and the way it's resolved it's very very different. I searched it on wolfram and i even have the step by step resolution but i dont know why i can't do it by parts. In Wolfram it's resolved first of all by "simple fractions"??

2.[itex]\int 1/((1+x^2)*(x+1))\,dx[/itex]

3. Well, like i said i tried to resolve it by part choosing 1/(x^2+1) dx like dv and 1/(x+1) like u. The i integrated by part and after all the precidure i came up with the next solution; I=arctg(x)/(x+1)

Please i'd be really happy if you could help me with this. AND SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Problem resolving a Integral

Have you tried splitting the integrand into partial fractions?

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3

Yes, I've tried but i don't come up with nothing that way. I mean, i'm clearly splitting the integrand wrong, but...can't it be resolved by parts. Why ?

Thank you.

5. Feb 1, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Integration by parts doesn't necessarily work for all integrands, even those that are a product of two functions. Over time you learn by experience what is likely to work in what case. Please show what you got when you tried partial fractions:
    $$\frac{1}{(x^2 + 1)((x+1)} = \frac{?}{x^2 + 1} + \frac{?}{x + 1}$$

6. Feb 1, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P.S. Are you saying that you used integration by parts and got the right answer? If so, there is nothing wrong with that. Often there is more than one way to solve a problem. If you post your work I will check it for you.

7. Feb 1, 2013 #6

This i how it goes:

[itex]\frac{A}{x^2+1} + \frac{B}{x+1} = \frac{1}{(x^2+1)(x+1)}[/itex]

Then...

[itex]A(x+1) + B(x^2+1) = 1[/itex]

So,

[itex]Ax + A + Bx^2 + B = 1[/itex]

So now i do this,

[itex]Ax = 0[/itex]
    [itex]Bx^2 = 0[/itex]
    [itex]A + B = 1[/itex]

And this is where i dont know how to proceed...

Thanks again.

8. Feb 1, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually it goes ##\frac{Ax+B}{x^2+1} + \frac{C}{x+1} = \frac{1}{(x^2+1)(x+1)}##. Try it starting from there.

9. Feb 1, 2013 #8

I've tried it that way and i come up with this:

[itex](Ax+B)(x+1) + C(x^2+1) = 1[/itex]

→ [itex]Ax^2 + Ax + Bx + B + Cx^2 + C = 1[/itex]
    → [itex]x^2(A +C) + x(A +B) + B + C = 1[/itex]

[itex]A + C = 0[/itex]
    [itex]A + B = 0[/itex]
    [itex]B + C = 1[/itex]

So...

[itex]A = -C[/itex]
    [itex]A = -B[/itex]

Then...

[itex]-C = -B[/itex] → [itex]B = C[/itex]

So, the only way is that B = 1/2 and C = 1/2

I guess its ok, but i have a doubt. How did you know it was that way, i mean i would never had though it that way. Why the x multipying the A ? And well would you explain please that ?

Thanks

10. Feb 1, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You generally need more variables than one if the factor has power greater than one. If you don't have enough variables you won't find any solution to the partial fractions problem - as you noticed. If the factor is quadratic, like x^2+1 you need a linear function having two variables (A,B) in the numerator, like Ax+B. The same sort of thing happens if you have powers of polynomials, like (x+1)^2. See http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/PartialFractions.aspx

11. Feb 1, 2013 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Just to expand on what Dick said
    If the factor is an irreducible quadratic, like x^2+1, then ...

If the quadratic is factorable, then you factor it and write expressions such as A/(x - r) + B/(x - s).

12. Feb 1, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You CAN do the partial fractions formalism on reducible polynomials. E.g. (3x^2+12x+11)/((x^2+3x+2)(x+3)) can be split into (2x+3)/(x^2+3x+2)+1/(x+3). But, of course, you would be a lot better off if you recognize (x^2+3x+2)=(x+1)(x+2) and split it into 1/(x+1)+1/(x+2)+1/(x+3). It's just a lot simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook