1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem Solution Needed

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    1. Ali, Akbar, and Lal have a total of Rs. 390. Ali has 5 times as much as Lal, and Akbar has 3/4 as much as Ali. How much money (in Rs.) does Akbar have?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics forums! In order for us to be able to help you, you must show us that you have given the problem a good try for yourself, because we don't do your homework for you, we can only help. Fill out the homework help template given to you, you just left 2 sections blank!!! You are most likely to get help if you tell us where exactly you need it, where are you stuck. Also, make the title of the threads for informative, for this thread I would perhaps have named it "Elementary Algebra". The only hint I will give is to let the amount of money Ali has be equal to x.
  4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    Thanx 4 reply but In few days I am going to give the test of university I heard that type of problem comes in the tests I have got the three tests like that Some of the problem of them I have done but this one I haven't tried best and I was totally confused abt this so I need the solution of this problem If u don't wanna give me the answer then plz give the solution of that type of other problem that u want that would be suitable for me and I will get the real way of doing the problem such kinds of but any ways thanx again. I will be thanful to u.thanxxx

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first step is to translate the givin information into math statements:

Let Al = Ali ; Ak = Akbar ; L = Lal

you are given

Al + Ak + L = 390

5Al = L

[tex] \frac 3 4 Ak = Al [/tex]

now can you put these statements together for yourself?
  6. Oct 29, 2007 #5

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This problem is tricky because it may force you to translate in terms of reciprocals, depending on whose value you assign to the variable. This is still just an elementary algebra problem. My approach would be to let the variable equal the Rs that Lal has, and transcribe accordingly. The transcription on this approach may be easier.

The sum of the terms of the variable equal 390 Rs; find the variable; then find the Rs that Akbar has.
  7. Oct 29, 2007 #6
    You have 3 which is unknowns, which means 3 equation
    Ali = A Akbar= B Lal = C

I wonder how gib z would write this
    "The only hint I will give is to let the amount of money Ali has be equal to x."

He would prolly write it in a more mathematically usable way
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  8. Oct 30, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, using "x" instead of "A" is no different mathematically!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?