Problem solving an exponential limit

In summary: The problem is that the only "pre-calculus" solution to this is to look it up in a table of known limits, which seems to be what the OP was expected to do.In summary, the OP is looking for an alternative to Taylor series which uses limits not covered in their high-school curriculum.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Which is the value of: $$\lim_{x\to 0^{-}}\frac{e^{kx}-1}{x}$$
Relevant Equations
none
I know it's probably an easy one, but I'm getting confused on how to treat that exponential numerator in order to escape from the indeterminate form ##\frac{0}{0}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Ever hear of Taylor series ?

Alternative: what is the definition of the derivative of ##e^x## at ##x=0## ?

BvU said:
Ever hear of Taylor series ?
Absolutely not and I'm pretty sure it's not covered by my high-school curriculum... not to excessively simplify, but isn't there another easier method? :)

I posted an alternative.
greg_rack said:
high-school curriculum
What does that say in relation to ##e^x## ?

greg_rack said:
Absolutely not and I'm pretty sure it's not covered by my high-school curriculum... not to excessively simplify, but isn't there another easier method? :)
Why don't you suggest an idea from what you have learned in your curriculum?

Likes WWGD and BvU
BvU said:
I posted an alternative.
What does that say in relation to ##e^x## ?
I just had the idea of checking from notable(is that the right word?) limits, and
$$\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{a^x-1}{x}=ln(a)$$

Bravo!

(although I have no idea what you mean with 'notable limits' :smile:)

• Haha
Likes greg_rack
BvU said:
I knew "notable" wasn't the right word😂. In Italian we call those "limiti notevoli"... try to check for a valid translation. These are limits which are apparently(at least for the knowledge of a high-schooler) impossible to solve and can be rewritten in more "comfortable" forms.

060024a4bebdaab011302c143cc77ee9.pngthis is the table I'm relying on

I believe these are simply derivations done for those with the unnecessary mathematical knowledge to solve such limit-forms

greg_rack said:
I knew "notable" wasn't the right word😂. In Italian we call those "limiti notevoli"... try to check for a valid translation. These are limits which are apparently(at least for the knowledge of a high-schooler) impossible to solve and can be rewritten in more "comfortable" forms.

View attachment 271174this is the table I'm relying on

I believe these are simply derivations done for those with the unnecessary mathematical knowledge to solve such limit-forms
Alternatively, if we let ##f(x) = e^{kx}##, then what is ##f'(0)##? Can you a) calculate this and b) express it as a limit?

PS another good way is using l'Hopital's rule.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
Alternatively, if we let ##f(x) = e^{kx}##, then what is ##f'(0)##? Can you a) calculate this and b) express it as a limit?

PS another good way is using l'Hopital's rule.
##f'(0)##? Is it ##f(0)##, considering ##f(x) = e^{kx}##?

greg_rack said:
with the unnecessary mathematical knowledge to solve such limit-forms
You mean 'without the necessary ...', i.e. they come from out of the blue sky (dal cielo azurro ?)

BvU said:
You mean 'without the necessary ...', i.e. they come from out of the blue sky (dal cielo azurro ?)
Yes, I meant that of course... and yes, they come dal cielo azzurro for us :)

greg_rack said:
I just had the idea of checking from notable(is that the right word?) limits, and
$$\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{a^x-1}{x}=ln(a)$$
That's a great idea. Now let ##a=e^k## and use this limite notevole.

Likes SammyS
since ##x## is going to ##0^-##, you can approximate ##e^{kx}## by the linear function tangent to it at ##x=0##; ##g(x)=f'(0)(x-0)+f(0)=kx+1##. i think that this is what @PeroK was hinting at?

Likes etotheipi
archaic said:
since ##x## is going to ##0^-##, you can approximate ##e^{kx}## by the linear function tangent to it at ##x=0##; ##g(x)=f'(0)(x-0)+f(0)=kx+1##. i think that this is what @PeroK was hinting at?
Explicitly, with ##f(x) = e^{kx}##:
$$f'(0) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(h) - f(0)}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{kh} - 1}{h} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{kx} - 1}{x}$$

It's not obvious to me that any of this is particularly relevant. Does the OP even know what a tangent line is?

Office_Shredder said:
It's not obvious to me that any of this is particularly relevant. Does the OP even know what a tangent line is?
hm.. i am not sure, but i think that the exponential and natural log functions are usually taught after the basic derivative chapters (which include the tangent to a function at a point)?

Office_Shredder said:
Post #13 is certainly relevant because it is a followup on OP's post #6 and gives the correct result. Admittedly it's a cookbook approach but it is also within OP's grasp.

Office_Shredder said:
The problem is that the only "pre-calculus" solution to this is to look it up in a table of known limits, which seems to be what the OP was expected to do.

A limit like that has got l'Hopital written all over it.

Likes greg_rack
PeroK said:
The problem is that the only "pre-calculus" solution to this is to look it up in a table of known limits, which seems to be what the OP was expected to do.

Or Taylor. The question is, has OP seen derivatives? We don't know, however we do know that OP has seen the limiti nottevoli.

PeroK said:
I agree.
PeroK said:
It sure does.
kuruman said:
The question is, has OP seen derivatives?
Given that this thread is in the Precalc section, we shouldn't assume any knowledge of derivatives or limits or series.

Likes greg_rack
Mark44 said:
Given that this thread is in the Precalc section, we shouldn't assume any knowledge of derivatives or limits or series.
Not so easy when the question is about a limit!

PeroK said:
Doh!

PeroK said:
By the way, that's the Italian questionable approach on precalc... and to those of you who were asking: no, I haven't yet seen calculus, but that's a matter of days since next week we'll start studying derivatives.
Evidently, the "limiti notevoli" are given in order to still solve(or just take confidence with?) more complex limits which require series or calculus in general without the need of knowing difficult concepts in advance in "early" classes.

PS: I'm sorry if I didn't take part on time to the discussion, but for some reason I wasn't getting notifications :)

greg_rack said:
By the way, that's the Italian questionable approach on precalc... and to those of you who were asking: no, I haven't yet seen calculus, but that's a matter of days since next week we'll start studying derivatives.
Evidently, the "limiti notevoli" are given in order to still solve(or just take confidence with?) more complex limits which require series or calculus in general without the need of knowing difficult concepts in advance in "early" classes.

PS: I'm sorry if I didn't take part on time to the discussion, but for some reason I wasn't getting notifications :)
I don't know if you have solved this problem by now.

Look at Post #13 by @kuruman for help in using "limiti notevoli" to solve this.

SammyS said:
I don't know if you have solved this problem by now.

Look at Post #13 by @kuruman for help in using "limiti notevoli" to solve this.
Yes, I do have solved it :)

Likes kuruman and SammyS
The numerator and denominator equal zero if you take the limit. Apply L'hopital's rule and then take the limit.

BvU said:
Bravo!

Standard, well-known.

1. What is an exponential limit?

An exponential limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches infinity or negative infinity. It is often used to model growth or decay in various natural phenomena.

2. How do you solve an exponential limit?

To solve an exponential limit, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, or simplifying the expression. You can also use properties of limits, such as the limit laws, to evaluate the limit. In some cases, you may need to use L'Hôpital's rule or other advanced techniques.

3. What are some common examples of exponential limits?

Some common examples of exponential limits include the limit of (1 + 1/x)^x as x approaches infinity, which is equal to e, the base of the natural logarithm. Another example is the limit of (1 + k/x)^x as x approaches infinity, where k is a constant, which is equal to e^k.

4. Why are exponential limits important?

Exponential limits are important because they allow us to understand and model the behavior of functions as their inputs approach infinity or negative infinity. This is useful in various fields such as physics, economics, and biology, where exponential growth or decay is commonly observed.

5. What are some real-world applications of exponential limits?

Exponential limits have many real-world applications, such as predicting population growth, analyzing the behavior of radioactive decay, and understanding the spread of infectious diseases. They are also used in finance to model compound interest and in engineering to design systems that can handle exponential growth or decay.