Problem solving Conical glass

In summary, the question is asking for the volume of liquid in a conical glass at various heights and the ratio of the height of the liquid to the height of the glass when it is half full. The first step is to construct a mathematical model with all the variables. The formula for the volume of a cone is V=1/3*pi*r^2*H, and when the glass is half full, the volume is half of the full cone. After simplifying, it can be seen that the height of the liquid, h, is half of the height of the glass, H. To find the relationship between the height and radius, we must consider similar triangles.
skiing4free
This is a problem that my lecturer gave us in class and it has been bugging me ever since. I have been unsuccesful in finding or calculating a proper solution so I am hoping PF will be able to help...

This is the Q:

Let H be the height of a conical glass which is filled to a height h. Find the volume of the liquid in the glass as a proportion of the volume if the glass is full. Find the ratio h/H for which the glass is half full.
To answer this question you must construct a mathematical model defining all the variables.

This does not sound like a difficult question to solve but whenever I try to solve with simple conical volume equations I just get that the ratio is H:2h which is obviously not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why don't you explain how you got H:2h?

Well the formula for a volume of a cone is:
V=1/3*pi*r^2*H.

V1 which is the volume of the full cone and V2 is the volume of the half full cone it is clear that V1/2=V2. I put the volume equations into this with the two differnt heights and when the constants are removed (pi, 1/3) you are left with H=2h. ahh but i have just seen how the radius would of course change... Now I think I am more confused

Can you find a relationship between what the radius and the height is going to be when you're at a certain height up the cone? (hint: think similar triangles)

I understand the frustration that comes with being unable to solve a problem, especially one that has been assigned by a lecturer. Let's break down the problem and approach it systematically.

First, we need to define all the variables in the question. H is the height of the conical glass, h is the height of the liquid in the glass, and V is the volume of the liquid in the glass. We also know that the glass is filled to a height h, which means the remaining height of the glass is H-h.

Next, we need to construct a mathematical model to represent the volume of the liquid in the glass. We can use the formula for the volume of a cone, which is V = (1/3)πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base of the cone. However, we need to modify this formula to account for the fact that the glass is not full to the top. We can do this by multiplying the formula by the ratio of the height of the liquid to the total height of the glass (h/H), giving us the following equation: V = (1/3)πr^2h(h/H).

To find the volume of the liquid as a proportion of the volume if the glass is full, we need to divide the volume of the liquid by the volume if the glass was full, which can be represented as (1/3)πr^2H. This gives us the following equation: V/(1/3)πr^2H = (1/3)πr^2h(h/H) / (1/3)πr^2H. Simplifying this, we get V/(1/3)πr^2H = h/H.

To find the ratio h/H for which the glass is half full, we can set the volume of the liquid equal to half of the volume if the glass was full, which can be represented as (1/2)(1/3)πr^2H. This gives us the following equation: (1/2)(1/3)πr^2H = (1/3)πr^2h(h/H). Simplifying this, we get h/H = 1/2, meaning that the ratio h/H for which the glass is half full is 1:2.

I hope this helps you solve the problem and alleviate your frustration. Remember, when faced with

What is a conical glass?

A conical glass is a type of drinking glass that has a cone-shaped body and is wider at the top than the bottom. It is typically used for serving beer or other beverages.

What is the problem with conical glasses?

The main problem with conical glasses is that they can be difficult to stack and store due to their shape. This can lead to breakage and waste of glassware in commercial settings.

How can the problem of conical glasses be solved?

One solution to the problem of conical glasses is to use specially designed glass racks that can securely hold and stack the glasses. Another solution is to use alternative glass shapes, such as nonic glasses, which have a slight bulge near the top that allows for easier stacking.

Are there any benefits to using conical glasses?

Yes, there are several benefits to using conical glasses. They are often preferred for serving certain types of beer, as the wider top allows for a better aroma and head retention. They also have a unique and aesthetically pleasing appearance.

What industries or settings commonly use conical glasses?

Conical glasses are commonly used in bars, restaurants, and breweries for serving beer. They are also popular for home use and can be found in many households. Additionally, they are used in laboratory settings for measuring and mixing liquids.