Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem solving Conical glass

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1
    This is a problem that my lecturer gave us in class and it has been bugging me ever since. I have been unsuccesful in finding or calculating a proper solution so I am hoping PF will be able to help...

This is the Q:

Let H be the height of a conical glass which is filled to a height h. Find the volume of the liquid in the glass as a proportion of the volume if the glass is full. Find the ratio h/H for which the glass is half full.
    To answer this question you must construct a mathematical model defining all the variables.

This does not sound like a difficult question to solve but whenever I try to solve with simple conical volume equations I just get that the ratio is H:2h which is obviously not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you explain how you got H:2h?

4. Sep 24, 2010 #3
    Well the formula for a volume of a cone is:
    V=1/3*pi*r^2*H.

V1 which is the volume of the full cone and V2 is the volume of the half full cone it is clear that V1/2=V2. I put the volume equations into this with the two differnt heights and when the constants are removed (pi, 1/3) you are left with H=2h. ahh but i have just seen how the radius would of course change... Now I think I am more confused

5. Sep 24, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you find a relationship between what the radius and the height is going to be when you're at a certain height up the cone? (hint: think similar triangles)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook