1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem Solving: Forces

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    Hi there,

I'm having some trouble with this problem right now. We are learning about Newton's First/Second/Third Laws.

With a friction coefficient of 0.15, what is the force that the crates exert on each other if the crate 1 is 75kg and crate 2 is 110kg with a push of 730N?

Can anyone give me pointers or starters?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2
    Treat the system as a whole to get acceleration.

4. Oct 10, 2005 #3
    Errrr... I was looking for the force that each box exerts on each other, not the acceleration...

But thanks anyways.

5. Oct 10, 2005 #4
    I didn't give you the complete story. You asked for pointers/starters.

Let me elaborate: Treat the system as a whole to find the acceleration of the entire system (use F = ma.) The system moves as a whole, thus each box will have the acceleration that you found. Continue by drawing free-body diagrams for each box and keep in mind that [itex]F_{12} = -F_{21}[/itex] ([itex]F_{12}[/itex] - read "force acted on box two by box one.")

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  6. Oct 10, 2005 #5
    -_-, still confused, sorry... acceleration is 2.48m/s^2-- what do i do with that number?

7. Oct 10, 2005 #6
    I don't know if you read my edited post but use [itex]\Sigma F = ma[/itex] on each box. You know both m and a.

[tex]\Sigma F_1 = m_1a[/tex]

You now have the net force on box 1. If you drew your free-body diagrams you would also know that

[tex]\Sigma F_1 = F + F_{21}[/tex]

Our last two expressions are both give us the net for on box 1 so we can equate them

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    F + F_{21} &= m_1a \\
    F_{21} &= m_1a - F \\
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

Tada! You have the force acting on box 1 by box 2. If you read what I said in my last post you should be able to get [itex]F_12[/itex].

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  8. Oct 10, 2005 #7
    is 435 correct then?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  9. Oct 11, 2005 #8
    Looking back, I see your problem includes friction. It shouldn't be too hard for you to include that in with what I've given you. Recheck your calculation of acceleration too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?