1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem Solving Problem

1. Jul 19, 2005 #1
    Problem Solving.... Problem

For the love of God I need some help.... Here is the question:

How much water should be added to 20 gallons of a solution that is 50% antifreeze in order to get a mixture that is 30% antifreeze?

I came up with two answers but am not sure if either are correct: 7.5 gallons and 12 gallons.

Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well think about it, dont be fooled by numbers and percentages :D.

If theres 50% antifreeze in 20 gallons of solution... how many gallons of antifreeze is there? Then, how many gallons overall need to exist for that # of gallons to equal 30%?

4. Jul 19, 2005 #3

Hmm.... still having trouble... :confused:

5. Jul 19, 2005 #4
    wow here is one where i actually think i can help

Part A: heres a quick tip for figuring it out.

(10gallons of antifreeze)/(20gallons of water-antifreeze solution) = a 50% solution.

so if i wanted to make that 10 gallons of anti freeze only 30% of the solution i would have to add more water to the mixture. So you might have to add X number of gallons to the mixture. Make an equation that shows adding X number of gallons to the mixture and then make that equation equal to X.

6. Jul 19, 2005 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Denote antifr. as AF and water as WR. So you have 10 AF + 10 WR = 20gal. mixture with 50% AF

You want 10 AF + X WR = 33.3 gal mixture with 30% AF (we know this because 10/33.3 = 0.3)

X = 33.3 - 10 = 23.3

Need to add extra WR = 23.3 - 10 = 13.3 gal

7. Jul 20, 2005 #6
    (10/0.3) - 20

that's the answer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook