Optimizing Antifreeze Mixture: How Much Water to Add?

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with a problem involving finding the amount of water needed to create a mixture with 30% antifreeze when starting with a 50% antifreeze solution. One person suggests using an equation and the other provides the solution of adding 13.3 gallons of water to the mixture.
TheTonik
Problem Solving... Problem

For the love of God I need some help... Here is the question:

How much water should be added to 20 gallons of a solution that is 50% antifreeze in order to get a mixture that is 30% antifreeze?

I came up with two answers but am not sure if either are correct: 7.5 gallons and 12 gallons.

Can anyone help me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well think about it, don't be fooled by numbers and percentages :D.

If there's 50% antifreeze in 20 gallons of solution... how many gallons of antifreeze is there? Then, how many gallons overall need to exist for that # of gallons to equal 30%?

Pengwuino said:
Well think about it, don't be fooled by numbers and percentages :D.

If there's 50% antifreeze in 20 gallons of solution... how many gallons of antifreeze is there? Then, how many gallons overall need to exist for that # of gallons to equal 30%?

Hmm... still having trouble... :confused:

wow here is one where i actually think i can help

Part A: here's a quick tip for figuring it out.

(10gallons of antifreeze)/(20gallons of water-antifreeze solution) = a 50% solution.

so if i wanted to make that 10 gallons of anti freeze only 30% of the solution i would have to add more water to the mixture. So you might have to add X number of gallons to the mixture. Make an equation that shows adding X number of gallons to the mixture and then make that equation equal to X.

TheTonik said:
For the love of God I need some help... Here is the question:

How much water should be added to 20 gallons of a solution that is 50% antifreeze in order to get a mixture that is 30% antifreeze?

I came up with two answers but am not sure if either are correct: 7.5 gallons and 12 gallons.

Can anyone help me?
Denote antifr. as AF and water as WR. So you have 10 AF + 10 WR = 20gal. mixture with 50% AF

You want 10 AF + X WR = 33.3 gal mixture with 30% AF (we know this because 10/33.3 = 0.3)

X = 33.3 - 10 = 23.3

Need to add extra WR = 23.3 - 10 = 13.3 gal

(10/0.3) - 20

that's the answer!

What is problem solving?

Problem solving is the process of identifying a problem, gathering information, analyzing possible solutions, and choosing the best course of action to reach a desired outcome or goal.

Why is problem solving important?

Problem solving is important because it helps us overcome challenges and obstacles, make decisions, and improve our critical thinking skills. It is a crucial skill in many aspects of life, including personal, academic, and professional settings.

What are the steps involved in problem solving?

The steps involved in problem solving can vary, but generally include: identifying the problem, gathering information, analyzing the information, developing potential solutions, evaluating the solutions, and implementing the chosen solution.

What are some strategies for effective problem solving?

Some strategies for effective problem solving include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, brainstorming multiple solutions, considering potential consequences, and seeking input and feedback from others.

How can problem solving be improved?

Problem solving can be improved by practicing regularly, seeking out challenging problems, and reflecting on previous problem solving experiences. It can also be helpful to learn new techniques and strategies and to seek guidance from others when facing particularly difficult problems.